Where should I buy a mini-dv camera?

Discussion in 'Community' started by nicely, Jul 8, 2002.

1. nicely macrumors member

Jan 12, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
    Hey everyone. I'm in the process of trying to find a Canon XL1s with the stock 16x lens. I'm a student, so, of course I'm trying to get it for the lowest price possible. I've had a bad experience with a few online vendors already. They tell me it's in stock, with the lens, for the price quoted on the website (between $2700-$3300). I order the camera and then they tell me that it isn't in stock or that the lens is not included, directly contradicting what they told me before the camera was purchased. :mad: I'm really starting to get upset about the way these retailers are operating. That said...

Where can I get a Canon XL1s with the auto 16x lens for a low price, no games, no lies?

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.
  2. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001

I bought a Sony DCR-TRV11 Mini-DV about a year or two ago and I got it at a very good price at BestBuy. I couldn't believe it either, usually they are too expensive. I got a great warranty on it too. I doubt that they would have a XL1, but I know that MacMall, MacConnection and MacWarehouse all used to carry them, I think that they still do.
  3. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    you'll probably take a hit on price, but you can surely get one from Apple. If you really want, you can get the DV package, which comes with a MAc and FCP 3 and I think cinema tools. That gets really pricey, but they have them and you can depend on them if you have somesort of problem. Check out local consumer stores, you might be surprised. Here in Nashville we have a chain of electronic stories that are strictly consumer level, but one of them is across the street from an Art and Design School that offers a film program, and Viola! the have Gl-1s and Xl1s' and one of those big ole Sony's.

Try a local place that would be used by the college, they can maybe get you one anyway.:)
  4. coolocity macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2002
    Central New York
    I would check electronics.cnet.com before you bought anything, they compare tons of prices for you. I found a Cannon ZR-45 MiniDV (Retail $699) for $475 new. Worth a look.

- John
  5. Quark macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    I bought a lot of electronics stuff at

I got excellent pricing, excellent service, excellent shipping and packaging.

These guys go the extra mile. I bought my entire DV camera outfit there.

I got:
    Sony DCR-PC110
    Extra battery (higher capacity)
    Special charger
    Several tapes (although you can buy more tapes at a lower cost at some www address where all they sell are blank video media -- I'll have to get you the link later, can't seem to find it right now)
    Special mini carrying case (soft/hard shell sony)
    Extra lenses
    Nice carrying case
    Cleaning kit
    128 MB memory stick

I have also had excellent service from www.avielectronics.com for home audio systems. They might have dv cameras.

Good luck!

6. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
  7. nicely thread starter macrumors member

Jan 12, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill