Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Hello,
I've been in the market for a Nikon D50 latley, been looking at my local Ritz Camera and Best Buy. Where would you recomend me to get one? Also should I buy Used/New/Refurbished, i'd really like to keep my purchase under 600$. Thanks!

Otto Rehhagel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Try Costco. The price is a little higher. I got mine for $669 but they have a great return policy (100% satisfaction guaranteed for life). In store, you may find a two lens kit, which is more $$. I hope they are still selling the one lens kit.

If you want the lowest price, just check this reurbished model for $534.99 on Amazon:

link

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
Moshiiii said:
Hello,
I've been in the market for a Nikon D50 latley, been looking at my local Ritz Camera and Best Buy. Where would you recomend me to get one? Also should I buy Used/New/Refurbished, i'd really like to keep my purchase under 600$. Thanks!

ritz sells them for 599 but uts not the outfit...anyways i got mine there and I would really reccomend their additional warranty which is 100 for a year and you can do whatever to want to the camera and than get it replaced....

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
$550 seems to be lowest "real" price

Moshiiii said:
Hello,

People use B&H Photo as the benchmark. Theirs prices are good but generally not the lowest. But then their service and customer suport is good and and they are honest with real sales peole that know cameras.
B&H sells the D50 kit with 18-55 lens for $649 with no state sales tax added

You can find it cheaper but you will loose something. Either the service will not be as good, they will add 8% tax it will not be a "new USA" model or you will be dealing with a bored minimum wage "salesman".

That said beachcamera.com has a refurb D50 with 18-55 lens for $550. Beach is a good outfit The refurn d50 will likely work as well as new

I paid a little bit more and got the D50 and a 18-70 lens. I think the extra $100 or so was worth it. I like the 18-70 better. Metel vs. plastic mont and faster AF, MF override and 1/2 stop faster

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I know that it might stretch your budget; but the Nikon D70s with the 18-70 IMO is a better kit. The 18-55 is a good lens, but the 18-70 is better. And only about $150 more than the D50 with the same lens (at my shop the D50/18-70 is $849, and the D70s/18-70 combo is $999).

Some of the things I like more about the D70s over the D50 (others may have their own additional features they also like):

- Wired remote available, don't have to rely on IR remote (though IR remote is usable)

- On-screen grid for composition, helps with the rule of thirds composition as well as making sure your horizons are level

- Two dials that control the shutter speed and aperture independently, the D50 requires the aperture to be set with the dial and a button

- The pop-up flash can act as a commander for wireless iTTL flash work, allows for more creative use of an SB600 or SB800 flash if you ever get one of them

- Uses CF cards as opposed to SD cards, SD cards max out at 2gb - CF cards are now at 8gb. Anything higher that 2gb in SD will require a camera compatible with the new HCSD standard, which the D50 is not.

Some will question why I went with the D50 at the beginning of the year, as opposed to the D70s. Simply money at that point. The D70s was $300 more than the D50. If I had to do it all again, I would do the D70s.

Do I have regrets on the D50? No, it does quite well. The JPEG's require no post processing for quick prints. According to Nikon it has a more sophisticated metering system, better highlight and shadow control.

Where to buy? Well many here will say I am biased, I say buy at a local camera shop. :eek: And this means more of your mom & pop type shops than one you find in the malls. Ritz is a good national company, and you may find good help there. But smaller, more local shops try to win out with service and support after the sale IMO.

Just don't do what some suggest and touch and feel, and seek pre-support help from these smaller shops only to take advantage of Costco and their pledge of satisfaction. Or to hunt on the web stores for a lower price and/or to save on sales taxes.

After the purchase don't go in to a local shop with questions about the camera. Go back to the likes of Costco and the web stores and seek support.

All things in life come at a cost. There is an adage that "you get what you pay for". That includes support on your purchases - even months and years down the line. This even goes for the taxes we pay.

I hope that you don't feel I am not dumping on you. Just trying to be helpful, yet at the same point letting you know that price is not the only object in a purchase. I see it everyday, with people that only wanted the best exchange policy or the best price.

Best of luck on what you decide to do.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I'm going to second B&H. Pay a bit more, but you won't be disappointed. And get the Mack extended warranty with it.

If you do go try to buy from some place with a super low price, just check resellerratings.com first.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Thanks for all the info! I've been stopping at my Ritz camera (the smallest Camera store we have arround here) and their customer server is so much better than BestBuy ect. They were nice enough to take my number down and they're gonna call me if a used D50 or D70s comes into sight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.