where should i buy my iPod from?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by abhishekit, Mar 8, 2004.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Finally i have saved up enough to buy an ipod..And i m decided on mini.
    The question is where should i buy it from so i get the best deal. At apple store, iwd get it for 229+tax after edu discount, amazon is 249 i think.
    Any suggestions are most welcome...
    please hurry as I am a very impatient guy and if nothing better comes up i would probly buy from apple store tonight...
    Thanks a lot

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Go with the cheapest for now. Online stores won't get stock back intill End of March probably.

3. Opteron macrumors 6502

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

http://macrumors.pricegrabber.com/search_gen.php/form_keyword=apple+ipod/topcat_id=2

though depending on Tax, the edu price might be best

arn

5. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

IMHO, I'd spend $50 more and get the 15gb iPod. The Mini is a waste of money for only 4gb.

Of course, it's up to the consumer. Do they want a small, ugly colored 4gb player, or a sleekt 15gb player for $50 more? Seems like a no brainer....right? :p

6. krisjon macrumors regular

eBay

Yeah, at your own risk. There's been a lot of Apple product scams on eBay as of late. People offering products well below market price and then the buyer never gets what they ordered. Go with the safe bet (and your education discount) and get it at the Apple store if they have what you want in stock. Otherwise, shop around the net and buy from a reputable Apple re-seller.

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I disagree. Everyone has preferences, and just because you believe the mini is an ugly player doesn't mean others do. He has already decided on the mini, and just wants to know where to buy to get the best prices..... Plus, the colors add style and the small design lessens weight and the need for more pocket space. IMO, the mini is great.

Anyways, I would second the Edu Apple prices. Probably the best legit prices you are going to find.

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

9. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Captain Obvious: I didn't state my belief as a fact, simply as my....humble opinion. Hence the acronym at the beginning.

I guess the difference in weight between the two players (2.0 oz.) mean the world to some folk. More power to them.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I know that my iPod (3G 10 GB) can weigh down my pockets with my cell, wallet, and maybe PDA. So yes, the small size and less weight does matter. MORE POWER TO US!!! :D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

This post concerns getting the best deal on an iPod mini, not an iPod vs. iPod mini discussion. lets not go there :rolleyes:

anyways it looks like the price is going to be pretty close no matter where you go. You have to factor in sales tax and shipping. Depending on where you live, sales tax could be equivalent to or more than the educational discount.

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm glad to see that you know what this thread is supposed to be about ;)

13. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

thanks a lot guys...following the suggestions , i decided to buy from apple store with edu discount...
    :)

cheers

14. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Good point. I apologize for the outburst. In the end, we're all iPod owners, even if my 20 gigger is 2 oz. heavier!! :)

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You don't have a tech store or something on campus that sells stuff at the discounted prices? Man I don't know how I would survive without that. Congrats on the Mini though, regardles of what anyone says, it will rock your world. They are awesome. You'll love it.

16. clr900 macrumors regular

Two completely different markets in my opinion. He has already decided on the market he needs which is a lightweight, very portable, stylish and durable mp3 player. Obviously if he has chosen this then he does not need to have his entire music collection with him at all times when he just wants to listen to a couple of songs. I already have a 15gig iPod and really want a mini just because it would be much more useful on a day to day basis holding my favorite songs and being very portable.