Where Should I Buy My Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PhantomOSX, Feb 7, 2005.

1. PhantomOSX macrumors member

Recently I sold my PC to switch over and get a Mac Mini. I have bought both a Mac Mini & a 512MB iPod Shuffle from MacMall but both have been back ordered since I placed my order. I have emailed MacMall asking when they think they might have them in stock but no answer. On the ResellersRatings website MacMall is rated as being horrible when it comes to customer support and needs (like email response). So I was wondering, does anyone know where I can get them without them being backordered? I here CompUSA around my place is getting them in Wednesday so I might stop by there and see if they have them in stock like they said and pick up one and then cancel my order on MacMall, but I don't know. Lmk what you think, thanks.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Micro Center in Fairfax has them in stock as of this morning.

3. kazmiekr macrumors newbie

I too have ordered a mac mini from macmall.

I ordered mine jan 15th and they told me it should be shipping Feb 18th. This is after they told me Feb 4th two weeks ago.

The funny thing is that I emailed them four times and never got a response. Even though they claim to respond within 24 hours.

I will never order from there again.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If you want them stock, I'd suggest you buy it from a physical location, such as an Apple Store. But if you want BTO, directly from Apple is best I'd guess. You still do have to wait for a while though. I ordered mine a week ago, and it's stated to ship on or before March 1st.

5. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

I would strongly recommend using Macoutfitters. They are great people and I know that they have several in stock. Also, as long as you don't live in Pennsylvania, you'll get free shipping.

6. PhantomOSX thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to order it from Apple bc they charge $53 tax, if I pay them for it I won't have enough for an iPod shuffle as well, though they are the most reliable since they make them, I'd rather find another company. I will check out the companies listed and see. Has anyone ordered a Mac Mini from another company other than Apple and gotten one? Lmk. Thanks.

7. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

A reminder to law-abiding citizens: the taxes of your local government STILL APPLY on internet purchases. Thank you.

8. PhantomOSX thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha you mean only to fools. And there is no law for it, not that I see.

9. therevolution macrumors 6502

Many (maybe all, don't know) states have a "use tax" that you're supposed to claim these things under. I don't know who would actually claim their stuff, though. There is (was?) a little bit of controversy surrounding use tax, as interstate commerce is not supposed to be taxed. I wonder if it was ever tried in court...?

10. PhantomOSX thread starter macrumors member

That's true. Only a fool would claim it. You're "suppose" to but I don't believe there's an actual law stating it. Just like there's no law stating you have to pay income tax, but if you didn't the IRS would give you a court order and make you pay (that's really the only way they can actually make you). But when it comes to internet tax no one seems to care.

11. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I called MacMall on 1-22 and the guy on the phone was very honest -- he said they are not really offering anything on the mini except free keyboard and mouse. That did it for me -- I ordered it direct from Apple.

That doesn't mean I have my mini -- but at least I have a ship date.

The only reason the Apple Store isn't a good idea is because of Airport & Bluetooth. At least at this point, the stores in the midwest can not upgrade your mini -- maybe its different on the left coast.

EDIT: and by the way, congratulations Phantom, you won't be sorry you switched. There will be bumps on the road, but at least you'll never be tempted to throw your mini against the wall.

12. PhantomOSX thread starter macrumors member

haha Yeah that's true numediaman. I'm tired of having to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete for everything. The way I see it is everything I can do on a PC, I can do on a Mac, and better (except play games but that doesn't matter). How long does it take Apple to ship it? The site says 3-4 weeks but I heard of ppl gettng it within 3 days from them. I was tempted to pay overnight shipping but that's only after it actually ships, which would be the 3 to 4 weeks and by then it would be useless to get it overnight. Unless I'm wrong and overnight really means "order today, get tomorrow".

13. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

FYI Re: ship dates

I orderd a Mac mini with bluetooth, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a printer for mom Jan 23. The mini had an original ship date of Feb 22, but it was shipped out via FedEX from China today(Feb 7). I expect to receive it at the end of this week. That is about half as long as originally quoted. I can live with that :)

Oh, the rest of the items were received in less than a week as they were shipped separately from northern california.

14. PhantomOSX thread starter macrumors member

Well I decided to order from Apple, using next day Fed Ex. Now I shall wait and cross my fingers and see how long it will be. I figure if I do decide to go to CompUSA and they have it I can still get it and cancel my order from Apple. We'll see.