Where Should I Sell My College Textbooks?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Mar 7, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

What site is good? :)

I have a few textbooks that I know I won't need again. So what's a good site to sell them on?

Are ebay and amazon viable places?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

half.com

To be fair, I've never sold stuff online, just bought, 'cause I'm a dirty consumer like that... :p But I love half.com.

3. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i've been asking that question too. i have been trying to get rid of some of my books for almost 3 years with little luck. i still have most of my college books, and i'm looking for an easy way to do this, so i can be rid of at least most of the books before the end of the calendar year i hope.

4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I haven't sold any of my college books, not even my java book lol

5. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Your best bet, if you're still on campus, might be to try and sell them to someone who will be taking the class next semester. Hang up some signs if there are bulletin boards listing the books you have and the classes they go with.

If you're not on campus, or don't want to try to sell them locally, I'd try half.com.

Or, see if you can unload them at a local used bookstore. Some places will take textbooks, others won't.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Some campus bookstores also buy back the books if they need them, usually you can get the best prices right before the next term begins. Don't know how the prices compare with trying to sell them yourself, but eliminates the hassle of shipping them, etc.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My school completely rips you off on buybacks. You buy a brand new $85 book and keep it pristine for the entire semester. You go to sell it, they give you $5, and then sell it for $70. :mad:

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Almost every school bookstore will do that... Why? Colleges are businesses, too. ;) I usually sell back to my college bookstore, I don't mind too much 'cause then I don't hafta deal w/ shipping and random fees and flaky buyers, plus, I feel good about supporting the bookstore.

9. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

that was one of the first things i learned about college.

10. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

I used to stand in the aisle where the book was, wait for someone to look at the book I was selling, and tell them I have a used copy I'd sell them for $5-10 less than the "used" price in the bookstore. Then proceed outside for the transaction. Don't get caught, though..

11. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

When I got to buy textbooks online, I use www.bigwords.com to search for the books I need because it pulls up books for sale on several sites i.e. amazon, half.com, barnes and noble, text exchange, etc. I'm not sure if you post it on bigwords that it will automatically post it on all the other sites but it's worth a shot.

12. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's pretty much standard. That's why I recommend trying to sell it directly to someone taking the class. You sell it for $40, and you both get a better deal than the bookstore.

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You're not going to have any luck now, then. Textbooks are revised every 3 to 4 years. Your books are all obsolete.

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I know there are a lot of student book swap groups on Facebook :D
    but if you can avoid the book store, do so. They rip you off like nothing! bleh.

15. Ponger22 macrumors newbie

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yup. Bought a textbook (used) for $100 once - buy back when I was done with it was $10. Sold it privately for $100 (through the bookstore's online classifieds, no less).

To be fair, usually when this happens it's because the bookstores buy textbooks at the market price (i.e., they could buy them from another bookstore for $10), but that doesn't explain how they can justify turning around and selling it for 10x what they paid for it... :mad:

17. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

What a zombie thread! :p

But I've discovered in the meantime that www.chegg.com is awesome! (rent-books site)

18. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've been using Chegg as well for the past few years. I've also sold back a few random books. Books that are a few years old wont' fetch any money, but it seems nice for them to take them off my hands.

Chegg all the way. You will not be disappointed.

19. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I've used Abebooks several times and always seem to get great (well, in comparison to Chegg and other websites) prices and quick payment. They are always my first choice, with Chegg a close 2nd.

20. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I've done the same thing. Never been caught though, why do you make it seem like such a bad thing?

21. sell used books macrumors newbie

sell books online

Selling your books back online is the only way to go. The college bookstores and brick and mortar are a complete waste of time with their low ball prices. What they count on is that you won't have the patience or desire to take the time to price your books online to get more value. You can easily enter the ISBN# of the books you have to sell www.sellusedbooks.com to get a free quote which almost always be more than what you'd get at your bookstore. Another thing to be aware of is that the college bookstores will actually try to take advantage of you and offer less during the peak buyback season because they know most people don't research the current prices and will accept their initial offer. Don't let them get away with these shady tactics. It pays to be smart :)

22. bookgator, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

bookgator macrumors newbie

There are websites where you can uy and sell textbooks and even swap them with other students who would need them. You don't have to buy textbooks especially if the budget is tight when there are other options around.

23. bookgator macrumors newbie

it actually happens that's why swapping is sometimes encouraged.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

How nice of this thread to attract people plugging their websites. :rolleyes: