Where Should I Try and Sell my G5 Quad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tstoneblues, Oct 12, 2006.

1. tstoneblues macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2006
    I have a fully loaded G5 Quad (12GB non-ECC RAM, 512 MB Nvidia Quadro Card, dual 750 GB hard drives, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme), and would like to sell it to make way for an upgraded mac pro. I've tried contacting some websites that sell used macs, but they seem to constantly low ball me (e.g. offer me $3,000 for my mac, when apple was just selling a comparable model 2 weeks ago for over $7,000). Any suggestions for where to try and sell the computer? Ebay/Craigslist??? Thanks.
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    You might want to consider keeping the 750GB drives (which, I believe, would work fine in the Mac Pro) and throwing in a sub-$100 250GB or 320GB drive. You'd likely sell that config for only slightly less than the 1.5TB one, and you'd have no worries about your data getting out.

Also, you might want to offer the RAM sticks for sale here or elsewhere until the system gets down to 2GB or so.

That way, instead of trying to find a buyer for a $5000+ system, you'd be looking for a buyer of less expensive one, which would be easier to find.
  3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
  4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I'd definitely split that package up.

Well, I take that back. I'd probably try once on eBay auction style and see how it does (perhaps set a reserve price since you're unsure), a 7 or 10 day starting at $.99 and let it run. I have seen many great systems like yours go for a large amount and sell successfully.

BUT, if that doesn't work, then I'd part it out a bit. I'd still sell the quad itself on eBay, because here you won't find many willing to pony up more than what a MP would cost, and I'm sure you're hoping for more than that. The other components (ie, HDs and RAM), you could try selling both here and eBay.
  5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Somewhere where time slows down and it's 6 months ago...:D. Then again, this is a very high specced machine. You should try some of the professional forums like CreativeCow, 2-pop.com and other visual effects/production forums where people have the money to spend on such an awesome rig. I had the same trouble with mine, but I got what I wanted for it after a few shots at eBay and some professional forum posts.
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The Marketplace here requires a minimum (100?) posts to the forums before you can post items to the sales pages - this is to minimize drive-by scammers arriving and leaving without a trace.

I second the opinion that you need to bring the machine back to near-stock in order to find a market.

Like MovieCutter says; its fruitless to compare prices with what was being sold yesterday. The value of a machine is what someone is willing to pay for it today.

Or put it this way: I have a lottery ticket for last night's draw. I paid $10 for it just two days ago. I'd like to get at least $7 for it today... :)
  7. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    I dont mean to sound weird, but why would u possibly need a more upgraded system then that? its a high specced machine that isnt out of date in any of the categories? is it just because of intel? dont spend it unless you need it for sure, you can get a few more years of that machine in my opinion...
  8. tstoneblues thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions for trying to sell my quad. A first pass on Ebay, followed by trying some of the sites for creative professionals, and if need be parsing my computer into its parts and selling them individually sounds like the best course of action. To respond to the question about why I would sell my Quad... primarily because the Mac Pro is much more expandable than my quad, and as a result should last for a longer time. The ability to replace the dual core Xeon Chips with the upcoming quad core chips, in addition to being able to incorporate more internal storage space and multiple CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives all seem to be pretty hefty improvements over the Quad. Although, the additional drive bays aren't that big of a deal, as there's always eSATA drives I can attach via a PCI-Express card.