Where the heck is the new MSN Messenger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaredrou, Jul 1, 2005.

1. jaredrou macrumors newbie

Didn't Microsoft say that a new MSN messenger was to be released last month (from the WWDC keynote), or was it in July?

I hope they aren't longhorning that... :(

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

To answer the poster's actual question, yes, you are correct, it was supposed to be last month at the latest - the initial rumored date was mid-May in fact! And I assume you have seen this thread but just in case you haven't, I've linked to it. :)

I don't use IM clients at all very much, but for my limited use I do use Messenger, so an update would definitely be welcome.

I guess just have patience - it will be released when it is ready to be released. And when it comes to MS software, I'd prefer them to iron out as many bugs and do as much testing on it as possible before releasing it. ;)

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

C'mon what didya expect? The only people slower at releasing updates than Microsoft are the .Mac team :)

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

blasphemy. :eek: IM clients are life and we are to bow before them and use them for eternity. :D

Seriously though, I don't know what I'd do without them, I use them so much. I think they are definitely one of the best software inventions ever.

And btw, the original MSN client really does suck hard for the Mac. I can't believe people actually still use that.

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I would laugh it wasn't so true... :(

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i want the new MSN messenger. Adium looks fowl, Mercury wasnt working properly for me. im happy with the feature-less MSN, all i want to do is chat! if only it stopped logging me out id be perfect for me.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm sorry sir. :eek:

I agree, they are an amazing invention, but I just find that e-mail, phone and *gasp* seeing people in person satisfy most of my communication needs. To each his own though!

Again, for my limited use, it serves its purpose. I'll probably grab the new one when it is (eventually) released.

9. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ARRRRG I HATE IT WHEN IT KEEPS SIGNING ME OUT!!! theres problems with all im clients. with adium sometimes i can't send/recieve messagtes because of an "unknown conversation error" anmd that is just unacceptable....i have posted that complaint sooooo many times :eek:

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, I'd opt for that. But unfortunately a lot of my friends live in other cities and countries, so IMs are awesome to keep in touch and I like the live feeling over just sending email but I agree seeing people in person is more satisfying.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

GAH! We need a client with all the features of MSN 6 or 7 for Windows.

12. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Adium doesn't have to look fowl, it's infinitely modable... just go to their "Xtras" part and the plugins automatically get installed when you click on them (like dashboard widgets get installed... same thing).

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

What layout theme are you using such that your IM client looks like chicken? :p ;)

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, I hear ya - it does come in handy for that. But e-mail does the trick for me too when I just feel like catching up and not engaging in an actual chat with someone. I definitely appreciate the benefits of using IM though, and see your point about it seeming more "real" when you're conversing with someone as opposed to shooting e-mails back and forth. ;)