where to buy 3rd gen iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FredAkbar, Sep 30, 2004.

1. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

My friend wants to buy an iPod, but he might not have enough money (after he makes some other purchases) to afford a new 4th gen iPod. So, can you still buy new (not refurbished) 3rd gen iPods anywhere? If not, it might be okay, he gave me a "maaaaybe" on buying a used iPod. Any tips on where to get 3rd gen iPods? Under-$200 range would be nice, I have no idea what sort of prices 3rd gens would have. Any size is fine.

Oh, and if you buy a 3rd gen, does that usually come with a USB 2.0 cable, or must you buy that separately (he has a PC)?

Thanks.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

iirc target still has the 15gb ones for 250 and you have to buy the usb cable for 20buck if you dont have fw. but if you have iLink (4pin fw) it comes w/ an adapter for that. however, if he's eligible for the edu discount that's not much of a deal

3. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I've seen some open box ones at Best Buy that are fairly inexpensive.

allison.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

PoweMax had some, but I don't know if it'd be under $200. The 10GB model maybe. Otherwise, eBay.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Apple Store online and local have refurb 3G iPods. That would be my preference for buying used, since Apple does the warranty repairs themselves.