Where to buy 7800gt?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Josh, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I've been considering selling my system, but another option is buying a better video card.

The problem is, I can't seem to find anywhere that sells this card, except Apple - but they seem to only be selling it as a built-in option.

Is there anywhere I can buy just the card to upgrade an already owned G5?

Thanks for the info!

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

3. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I was also looking to upgrade to the 7800gt but I called apple and they can't sell one...so I am in the same situation as you, trying to find somewhere that sells them.

Anyone know how easy is it to flash the windows version?

4. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

...anyone know of any places besides eBay?

I'd like to buy a new card, not a previously owned one.

That's absurd that the only place (Apple) that seems to sell these cards only sells them as built-in options on new computers.

Completely screws over anyone who wants to upgrade later on.

I've contacted nvidia about it. I'll post here if I find out any info other than the obvious "out of luck."

5. asencif macrumors 6502

So Nvidia never got back to you?

6. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

For flashing information, try strangedogs.com and look at their forums. A wealth of information from those guys! It's not the easiest thing to do for a computer but if you take your time and pay attention, you could get a 7800 for half the price of the Apple version.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've talked to people at the apple store and combed the 'net - and as of yet I have no evidence that Apple has ever sold a 7800GT a la carte - it appears to be strictly BTO on a new machine. Ditto the Quadro.

If you want one you'll have to flash it; This would require buying a PC 7800GT, removing its surface mount (64k) ROM chip and replacing it with a pin-compatible 128k chip. Then use a PC to flash a Mac ROM into it and pray....it has been done but it aint easy.

At some point ATI will release new cards for the PowerMac, and (unlike nVidia) they usually sell them retail. You may have to wait till then and get an X1800XT or X1900XT....

8. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Not yet. I emailed them this morning, and they said they'd reply within 24hrs.

If I have to, I might try flashing a PC version. I've got the time to go through it (would even make a tutorial if people in a similar situation wanted to go this route). But that will be an absolute last resort.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I highly doubt that they'll sell you one, but if they do there are quite a few people on this board who I bet would be interested to know how to get one.

Like xyian said, do a lot of reading on the Strangedogs forum before attempting the flash - They also have a ROM available for download. If you have a PC with a PCIe slot and are handy with a soldering Iron you could get a 7800GT pretty cheap off Newegg and flash it. According to Strangedogs they will even drive a 30" display.

By the way, I noticed a few days ago that Small Dog electronics was selling Apple OEM 7800GTs. They are probably pulled cards, I don't know how they got them but they are asking $725 for them! :eek: (they don't have one advertised right now but they could probably dig one up)

10. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

YIKES! That's expensive!

I will definitely let everyone know what nvidia says.

I've also contacted someone who advertises flashed 7800gt's for $450.

11. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

That isn't a bad idea to wait for some newer cards...but hopefully they will come out soon.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Who is that? It could be one of the Strangedogs people, some of them sell on ebay. But there are also some unscrupulous asshats selling flashed cards on ebay, like that _I'm_a_macuser_ (or something like that) guy.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

14. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

A member of strangedog's by the name of rubytuesday. Seems to have a good rep over there, and offers a lot of info about flashing. He's a mod there too, so I think he's pretty legit.

**EDIT** LOL! velocity had me beat by a few milliseconds :p

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Didn't ATi demo the X1800 XT at the MWSF back in January??
    I remember reading that somewhere....

BTW Lord Slackbladder... your 'tar?? What have you done??

16. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'd definitely buy from her...she does a lot of the R&D work there anway, and helped me out with flashing my 6800GT. Good luck!

By the way, they really want to try doing a 7800GTX - you'll notice in the post that she's offering to do the flash for just a $25 surcharge over card cost - not a bad deal for the FASTEST and BADDEST Mac vid card EVER (if it works). If you are willing to try I recomnmend getting one of EVGA's 7800GTXs and sending it to rubytuesday, she's a past master at hard mods.

Yeah, ATI teased everybody with a dual core PowrMac G5 running an X1800XT...and has since been COMPLETELY silent on when and if the card will become available. :mad: I secretly hope that they will release the X1900XT instead. :cool:

I switched my 'tar for the opening GP of the Formula 1 season...it's Scott Speed, driving for Squadra Toro Rosso and the only American currently driving in F1....no chance of victory as he's a rookie but I gotta support my countryman!! :p

18. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

I just did, well, kind've. Check is going out tomorrow. :)

She's really nice. Asked me to do a review and post some pics and benchmarks of the card, which I'll do as soon as I get it.

I got a reply from nVidia, and unfortunately (and unsurprisingly), I get the expected "Please contact Apple blah blah" so no luck there.

Seems flashed cards are the only option. A shame, since there's obviously demand for upgrades on individual cards.

19. HyperZboy macrumors 65816

I found this thread while googling Geforce 7800 info and thought people here might be in great need of an IMPORTANT UPDATE to all of the bad recommendations and advice in this thread (hindsight is 20/20)...

These 7800 cards are still available at Newegg and they are exceptionally easy to flash if you have access to a PC. Why wait 6 months to never for a Geforce 7800 from these shady Strangedogs.com moderators like Rubytuesday (who's now permanently disappeared) when in that amount of time you could easily do it yourself? It's a no-brainer.

Plus, you'll definitely want to avoid www.Strangedogs.Proboards40.com and that Rubytuesday guy like the plague! If you read www.MacLife.com, you can plainly see he took quite a few people for THOUSANDS of dollars @ $700+ each! OUCH!

And now another moderator there, NVFLASH, now owes people cards and money and the complaints are piling up again at Strangedogs . It's just one scam after another over there and it appears all these scams have finally caught up with them as it seems they lost their domain name and are getting the boot from Proboards too. At least that's what it looks like from reading their website recently where they fiercely claim it's not because of a lawsuit, blah blah blah. Haha. Too funny.

Having purchased a video card from practically everyone on ebay and at least 2 of the strangedogs.com con artists, I'd have to say the best people to get a Geforce 7800 from is Mac_Geniuses on ebay, although Applemacanix is pretty reputable too (he just seems to know less about Macs).

Just my 2¢ to save people here all the heartache of the poor MacLife people who got really scammed by Strangedogs.proboards40.com.