Where to buy a computer (California)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacAztec, Oct 28, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am in California, and I am looking to get one of those new G4 iBooks (12"). I would go through Apple, but I don't want to pay Sales Tax (which would be like 90$). I also want to get the edu. discount.

Does anyone know of a good store that does not have sales tax in California?

I can get the exact iBook I want for 1,111$:

iBook G4 800Mhz
    +60GB HD
    +Bluetooth

I already have an Airport Extreme card.

Or, do you guys thing it would be better to buy an iBook 900 from someone (fully loaded) for like 1050?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'm not sure how your're going to buy it in California and not pay tax on it. I'm pretty sure that you have to buy from Apple to get the education discount as well. Just buy from Apple, pay the tax, get the discount, and don't pay shipping. You'll still come out ahead.

3. gello2424 macrumors member

I live in Cali. and you find me a store that is willing to do what you just asked I and I will show you are store that is going to be in some very big trouble for tax fraud!!

Good luck finding a way around this I have looked for one for a very long time.

4. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

taxes in this state are inevitable and unavoid able. And stick to the ibook g4, it looks like they made a lot of improvments in terms of structure and materials used. (The keyboard for instance)

5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

dude, just pay it. everyone that wants something in this state has to. there is no store in Ca that does not, and the edu discount will more than pay for the tax, so be happy that you even get that.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's pretty much buy out of state and save tax, but miss out on the EDU discount, or vice versa.

7. jme macrumors newbie

Almost every situation is negotiable, except for exceptionaly stubborn situations and people. You'd be surprised what you get if you just ask for what you want.

I've brought prices down on peripherals, audio equip and gear, shoes, subway/bus fare, beer at 7/11, electronics, instruments: at retail shops and individual transactions.... the discount would equal double the tax, and in some cases the item would be half off.

And then sometimes they would want nothing to do with me.

So my suggestion: if you want the tax off, work on bringing the price down. That's up to you to creatively figure out.

8. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Re: Where to buy a computer (California)?

You could drive to Nevada (gas, food, lodging $110), open a P.O. box ($35), order your Powerbook online with your student discount (sales tax, $0), have it delivered to the P.O. box and pick it up when it it arrives (gas, food, lodging $110). So, for an additional $255 you can save the $90 sales tax, for a total outlay of $165.

The best edu. discounts that I'm aware of are available through the Univ. of California bookstores and available only to their students. All other educational discounts (including Cal State Universities) are pretty much reflective of the Apple store's discounts.

9. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

All educational discounts from Apple itself are exactly the same. The only time you'll find it different is if the bookstore itself has a special deal.

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

If I am not mistaken, if a company has a retail outlet in that state, they are responsible for collecting sales tax for mail order sales in that state. At least that is how it seems to work in Indiana.

Eric

11. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

That's correct. Unless of course the state has no sales tax.