Where to buy a macbookpro. SF or NY

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pattonico, Nov 27, 2006.

1. pattonico macrumors newbie

Hello i am from spain and i will be in New york city and in new york in a week. I want to know where is cheaper to buy a mac book pro 2,3. The taxes and the best place to go for it.
    Thanks a lot

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i think the prices are the same wherever you go.

But regardless, here's a vote for the New York store, it's beautiful!

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

The sales tax rate is very similar between the two. NYC is just about 8-1/3%. I don't remember SF's rate, but I'm pretty sure it's between 8 and 8.5%, too.

These are both on the high side, but you'd probably have to travel a significant distance to trim a few percent off these rates.

4. pattonico thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. do you guys know if as a foreigner the taxes can be refund to me by the autoities..??

5. semicharmed macrumors regular

Yes, I'm pretty sure they can be refunded, but then you'll have to pay an import tax when you bring the computer back into Spain.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Eeek! 4.5% down here in Virginia and the Washington D.C. region.

You guys are getting hosed having to pay that rate.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yup, 8.25% in my area of CA. Not to mention housing costs. *groan*

8. pattonico thread starter macrumors newbie

Is good to hear than it will be cheaper in washington because i will go there too. Any store recommended? or is the same price everywere.
    thanks

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

in the DC area, there are many stores to choose from. my favorite is Tyson's Corner (Virginia) but you could also go to Bethesda Row, Montgomery Mall (which is in North Bethesda), Annapolis Mall, Columbia Mall (recently opened), Clarendon, Pentagon City, and probably some i'm missing. check out apple.com/retail for addresses and phone numbers.

MBPs will be the same price wherever you go. sales tax in both Maryland and Virginia is 5%. here is a list of state sales tax rates.

10. NJuul macrumors 6502

I think you can get the tax refunded where-ever you buy it, so you might as well go to the New York store and get yourself a nice mac-related experience. Regardless of where you buy it and whether or not you get the sales tax refunded, you have to pay tax when bringing it back to Spain.
    You can of course "forget" to report it, and hope that you don't get stopped in customs... Up to you.

11. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

I believe the state of Delaware has no sales tax. There is an Apple Store in Newark, DE. It is about half way between NYC and DC.

12. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

While you're in New York, if you can make it to one of the Apple Stores in Connecticut, the tax rate there is only 6%.

The money you'd spend in gas to get there probably wouldn't make it worthwhile if that's the only reason you're going, but if you're going to be in Connecticut for any other reason, that might be a good way to shave a couple bucks off.

If you really want to save money, drive up to New Hampshire. I'm pretty sure they have no sales tax at all.

13. nptski macrumors member

Tax

You picked the most liberal (defined as "they love taxes and more to come soon") states in the country to buy a beloved mac. If you know someone that has a residence buy it from amazon through them, no tax and likely a rebate.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

basically for california, NO refund

In California; if you "take possession" of your purchase while you're in California, then you'll pay sales tax and there is no refund available even though you're a foreigner. If you order your purchase and have it shipped to some place outside California by the seller, then you wont pay California sales tax (assuming you don't take possession of the purchase) ......but you may have to pay tax at the shipping destination depending on where it goes

15. Bonnie macrumors member

If you buy from Amazon you don't have to pay tax?

Don't they go through Apple, though? Still no tax?

Thanks. :)

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The Tyson's Corner Shopping Center Apple Store in Mclean Va. is great!
    290 stores under one roof!

Traffic permitting, 30 minutes from downtown Washington D.C.

http://www.apple.com/retail/tysons/map/

http://www.shoptysons.com/

17. pattonico thread starter macrumors newbie

so maybe i can buy it from Amazon and give the hotel address. That will be ok? no taxes if i do that?
    thanks to everyone

18. NJuul macrumors 6502

And if it is delayed until after you leave....
    2000 bucks out the window :rolleyes:

19. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Or you could come to Oregon...no sales tax at all! (although we do have income and property tax).

I don't recomend buying from amazon to a hotel...too much chance of it being delayed.