Where to buy a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by scem0, Oct 17, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I know I am not being very dedicated to apple but I only have $700 to spend on a computer right now, and I can't get a half decent computer from apple with that money. I am wondering where I can find the cheapest PCs. Maybe this isn't the greatest forum to ask this question, but people seem to have knowledge of both platforms usually. So far the cheapest has been eBay. Is there a cheaper place? THanks.

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

3. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

you see, I would do that, but I am not experienced at all... Can anyone do it? I am going to look on the internet to see if there is a guide anywhere. If anyone knows a good link post please :D.

4. vniow macrumors G4

It's not hard at all, just make sure you get quality parts.
    Building a PC is pretty much a no-brainer when you see how all the parts fit together.:)

5. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I just looked at a site showing how to custom built a computer, and it looked kinda complicated. I could probably do it, but I would rather just buy a refurbished one, or a custom built one, and not chance me messing up. is eBay my best bet?

6. vniow macrumors G4

I'm telling you, it's not complicated at all, most cases come with power supplies, so all you have to do is screw in the motherboard, pop in the CPU, attach cables to their right connectors, put your drives in and power up.
    Pretty simple, just made sure you don't do it on carpet.:eek:

7. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

If you decide not to get a custom-built PC, I'd say go with Dell. :eek: I know this is almost blasphemy here on Macrumors.com, but my personal experience with Dell has always been positive. I had a Dell Inspiron laptop before I pawned it off to pay for my TiBook. :D

8. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I am, as of now, going with a custom built system from eBay. I am this close (imagine me with my thumb and index finger really close together :D) to getting an AMD XP 2200 w/ everything I need for $500 (not sure what the shipping is yet).