Where to buy Absinthe?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I want to buy a bottle of Absinthe. What is a good brand/place to order from? I'm looking at about $70 maximum shipped. I know edesignuk ordered from Sebor Absinth, but one of his posts imply that he was disappointed with it. Heard Um Emile 68 is good, where can I buy that, and how much do they cost? I don't want to spend over $70.

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I've never ordered from them, but this looks like a pretty good source of Absinthe and supplies:
    http://www.feevertesource.com/

Shipping to the US can be quite costly, though.

[EDIT: Nevermind. Every bottle I try to put in my cart gives me a message that they're out of stock.]

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

With pending travel overseas, I am tempted to try this stuff - but am concerned at the same time. Sort of the moth to the flame (or bug zapper). :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's good stuff, man. It makes you giddy and social. :)

5. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

I can personally vouch for the bottle on the far right, a bit pricey but excellent. Led to quite a bit of fun with my "significant other". Thoughts of Manet and Degas running through my mind all the while...

http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I can personally vouche for Rodnik's Absinthe. It is very good, but there could be better. I will say not to get Hill's. I wasn't impressed with it.

As for where to buy it. You can grab it in Canada at larger liquor stores. I found a bottle in Montreal at the SAQ, and I know you can order it from LCBO's in Ontario.

That being said, I'd look online to buy and have it shipped from Europe, or get a member on here to grab it and ship it across. My friend went and said they cost 15-20 Euros for a 70CL bottle.

7. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I had some of this for the first time over Halloween. A friend had gone to Sweden over the summer and brought some back. I liked it, and it got us good and fired up for bar-hopping in costume later on!

8. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I have to say I've never had good absinthe that came from a bottle/factory.
    The only excellent ones were home made by absinthe lovers based on original recipes. Just my 2c.

Stay away from anything that has artificial colors or looks too "green".
    Also from stuff that looks too clear, too perfect.

The Czech brands are awful, but I hear some of the Spanish/Andorra ones are decent.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So what happens to those of us that are already "giddy and social"? I hope was both on my recent visit to Chicago. :D

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, I agree... I read this article and was quite impressed with the science that's gone into creating the perfect absinthe that doesn't contain lethal amounts of thujone (the toxic substance that causes absinthism). It seems pretty apparent that absinthe has been labeled as unsafe because in the past, the quality control just wasn't there. (Absinthe is the alcohol equivalent of fugu, or puffer fish... it's good if it's prepared properly, but can be lethal if it isn't.)

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Poison ... Poison ... Tasty Fish!

[​IMG]

12. narco macrumors 65816

narco

There is a club in LA that supposedly sells the "authentic" stuff. I had a few drinks that night and decided to finish with a glass of absinthe, and i tried to tear the bathroom door off and ended up getting kicked out of the club, mcdonalds and kicked in an IHOP sign. Needless to say, never again.

Fishes,
    narco.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Bought a litre botle in Andorra, very small county wedged the mountains between Spain and France, for 1Euro 50.

68% proof for less than $2 for the yanks out there.

And, yes, Enriched Uranium is safer to drink.

14. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Reading into Absinthe reveals that the wormwood/thujone is not worth talking about, since it's in such small concentrations that it won't cause hallucinations. That Absinthe is more or less a drink with 68% alcohol.

Is it worth it trying Absinthe, or am I better off just getting Everclear or something?

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

my friends and i are getting absinthe and other things and going to the state forest.

then we are getting cobra whiskey at some point

16. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Oh wow - you can say that again. There's a lot of moonshine absinthe here in the Bay Area, folks doing all sorts of crazy stuff to wormwood. Some of the best and worst I've ever had has been the moonshine variety - though the worst stuff also got a bunch of us pretty sick, too.

Make sure you're buying absinthe with thujone and all the other "good stuff" - a lot of legal distillaries make liquors that they call "absinthe" but only mimic it in taste, texture and color. The real green fairy stuff is harder to find, but still legal in parts of Europe.

Can't recommend a good brand, though, since I've never had the opportunity to legally purchase it.

[Edit]:
    Whatever that is, it sounds kind of exciting. Care to explain?

17. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

18. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Okay that looks effing awesome... But one little catch? You have to distill your own alcohol. That's illegal in the United States. How do you do that, anyway?

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm I want to try some now. If someone finds a good brand or sumthin', I'll consider.

20. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You don't distill it, you soak the herbs in the alcohol. It's legal, so far.

21. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

What alcohol? Where do you get the alcohol?

EDIT: Okay, I read the FAQ. I just add the herbs to Everclear? That's damn easy. Only 6 days too.

*whips out credit card* :D

22. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Actually the Czech stuff is more potent in terms of its wormwood than any of the other brands, that is what makes it so bitter and not as good tasting but better buzz...you are supposed to add stuff to it anyways...
    :cool:

23. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Okay, I just bought the GreenDevil kit :eek:

I'm going to buy some Everclear sometime this week. I hope I'll get the kit on Friday, so I can make it and have it ready by thanksgiving!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.