where to buy an old windows laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by QCassidy352, Mar 17, 2004.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my friend's old IBM thinkpad 600x just died, and she needs to replace it. It does *not* need to be powerful - internet, e mail, MS word are basically her requirements. Anything as good or better than her old thinkpad would be fine.

The price range is really not much higher than $500. Lower, if possible. Where might I find something like this? Comments such as "look at this great deal on this $1000 laptop," or "get a mac" are really not helpful in this case.

Help, please.

2. loubapache macrumors member

Thinkpads are the best.

Right now, eCost has an IBM refurb Thinkpad T22 for $610 shipped. The T22 is light-years ahead of the 600x. It uses a P-III 900 MHz processor with speed step technology, 128 MB RAM with an open slot for more, 20 GB HD, DVD, etc.

Ubid.com just got a bunch of 600x and the buy it price is $380 with a hefty $40 or so for shipping.

All these come with 90 day warranty.

Overstock.com also has many refurb T21 and 22s. Same goes with Tigerdirect.

The build quality of the T series Thinkpads put all PC manufactures to shame, including Apple. I have dealt with more than 50 Thinkpads T20, 21, 22s and only 3 had small problems with HD and DVD drive and they just kept working and working. IBM's support and service is also second to none but all these Thinkpads, when new, are very expensive. The current T41 has airbag for the HD, standard with 7200 rpm drives (some models), etc.

There is no need to buy these machines from Ebay unless there is warranty left on the machines. Better deals can be found out of Ebay with warranty.

3. richland macrumors member

Well...I wouldn't say best..

4. loubapache macrumors member

You can go and read reviews for the Thinkpads anywhere, the positive response is just statistically and unbelievably overwhelming. Unless the reviewers is a Dell kind of person who buys these $800 laptops every a couple years. :eek:

In some second and third world countries, many top corporations use the 3 - 10 year old Thinkpads as mission critical executive machines. The local refurbishers even offer warranty on these old machines. These are lease return machines by US companies, cleaned and sold again, cleaned and sold again, . . ..

5. Zeke macrumors 6502

Or you could buy one from someone here...I have an old (works perfectly) Dell Inspiron 7000 if you're interested.

Edited because my grammar was horrible.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I used to have a 600x. Is that old already? I've gotten used to "Mac years" and a 3 year old computer shouldn't be old yet.

I agree on Thinkpad quaility--if you are going to use a PC laptop you can't do better than a Thinkpad.

You don't want a 760el do you? If Win 95 is your speed then it's the computer for you.

7. sgtlmj macrumors member

Do an eBay search for Armada M300 and M700.

These are solid computers and can be had in Pentium 3 from 500 up to 850Mhz. Prices range from $275 to $500.

Accessories abound for both models, they are easily expandable in memory and storage, and will last for years yet.

I just got a Compaq Armada M300 for around $300 and just maxed out the memory and put 20Gig HD in it for under $500. It's a 12" computer that is less than .75" thick without the expansion base. Highy portable, but the magnesium frame and housing make it a bit heavy.

This filled my niche for a compact laptop, so I can now jump to the 15" PB when the time comes :)

Good luck!

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Then, in your opinion, what exactly is the best laptop in this case?

9. primalman macrumors 6502a

10. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks a lot guys (well, maybe not so much that last one :rolleyes: ). All suggestions are welcome; seems like some very good ideas so far. I think another thinkpad would be good as well. And yes, I am looking around here for a computer that would fit the bill - i have a thread in the classifieds.

11. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Try WinBook, as they have many pre-owned & refurbished systems to choose from.

Am currently writing this on my brother's rarely-used WinBook XL he sent me (free, I might add) just a few weeks ago. Slow 233mhz w/Win98se, but it's a nice cheap replacement for an antique Toshiba that's now defunct.

12. primalman macrumors 6502a

I was just kidding :D

Seriously though, you may want to sheck out any university or college around you and the surplus auctions of equipment that they do several times a year. My former photo colleauge bought several basic PC towers, parts and a decent Gateway laptop last year for very little. The laptop was less than $125, towers under $75. Parts were pennies.

Check it out, you can buy all kinds of stuff there, I bought a nice 6 foot tall wood bookcase with doors for $35 one year!

13. primalman macrumors 6502a

I was just kidding :D

Seriously though, you may want to check out any university or college around you and the surplus auctions of equipment that they do several times a year. My former photo colleauge bought several basic PC towers, parts and a decent Gateway laptop last year for very little. The laptop was less than $125, towers under $75. Parts were pennies.

Check it out, you can buy all kinds of stuff there, I bought a nice 6 foot tall wood bookcase with doors for $35 one year!

14. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I found these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com/BiziPC-Store

To be GREAT - I bought a dell laptop - and it was in great condition and they were fast and easy to work with - highly recommended.

15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I live in Michigan, and I went to the comuter show at the Gibralter Trade Center. they had used Thinkpads for under $200 on up. If you have computer shows around where you live, it might be worth the effort to take a look at one to see what they offer.
    Good luck :)