Where to buy chassis?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by taylorwilsdon, Jan 21, 2007.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I've been looking on eBay, as well as a number of sites and I have yet to find an affordable place to get a G5 or mac pro chassis (complete case)

I don't need anything left on it (fans would be nice) but it has to be in good cosmetic condition - where should I look?

(its for a project, not for a specific Mac so don't worry about compatibility, just looks)

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

ebay or craigslist is your best bet. Various resellers might sell you one but they'd chrge you what Apple charges for replacement part.

3. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

That's a pretty big hunk of aluminum.

Whatcha gonna put inside?

4. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I was thinkin' about a Miniatx motherboard, a Core 2 Duo and about 10 harddrives. Makes for a sweet workstation, and I just love the look of the cases. I'm not so happy with the base price on the Mac Pro though ;)

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

As pretty as the cases are have you extensively looked at other cases, especially from Lian Li?

6. waremaster macrumors 6502

As nice as Lian Li cases are they dont even come close to the quality of the G5 or Mac Pro case. From the guage of aluminum used right down to the lever access design not even close.

7. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

i picked up a G5 case off ebay and put my Quicksilver G4 in it, damn that was a quiet computer.

check it out

8. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Thats what I'm looking to do, but with more Windows :p

To the guy who mentioned Lian Li, yeah, those are nice but not quite what I'm looking for.

9. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

You could try posting on LEMswap to see if anyone has anything. Really though, the best place is to stalk eBay until you find a great deal. may take a while, but it's definitely the best way to get inexpensive stuff.