Where to buy digital camera cable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jamdr, Apr 2, 2004.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I own a Canon S230 digital camera, but I seem to have lost the USB cable that connects to the Mac. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get one?

I actually was wondering if it were possible to get a FireWire or USB2 cable instead of a USB cable. Does Canon make different connection cables, or does my camera only work with USB? Thanks for any help.

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'd get a card reader. it's more versatile and will not drain your camera's battery.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I 2nd that suggestion. File transfer from digicam to system in general is really really slow. Card readers are available w/ Firewire or USB 2.0 connection.

5. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Yes, of course--Google :rolleyes: . But you misunderstand. I was looking for recommendations on where to get a cable other than online (sorry if that wasn't clear, but that's what I meant by BUYING a cable, rather ORDERING one). I checked quite a few places like CompUSA and OfficeDepot but neither sells just the cable. Too bad about the faster connection, though. I think I will buy a flash card reader instead, which are readily available at any consumer electronics store. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. El Duderino macrumors member

i get about 3 requests daily for usb cables at best buy, if someone wanted to market those things they would make a fortune, theyre the most lost, broken, never can get a hold of cables in history...but theyre really common and i have about 20 stashed in my dept from the display models

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Don't you need a billion different versions though? I think the S230 cable has a canon-proprietary connector for the camera end, and I assume other cameras are teh same way ( I have an S200, and it's not just a normal UsB cable).

As for a card reader, I find that my USB 1.1 card reader is no faster than downloading from teh camera, perhaps slower. 2.0 probably is faster, but I think the speed limit is determined by how quickly the device reads the card, not the speed of the bus.