Where to buy Fifth Gen. iPod nano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ty7u5, Oct 1, 2011.

1. macrumors member

While I was on a bus trip the other day, I was playing around with my friend's iPod nano 5G, while I own a 6G, I realized all the amazing features that the 5G has that the 6G lacks. So my question is, is there anywhere that I can purchase an iPod nano 5G, in the original packaging, preferably for under $300?

2. macrumors 68040

steve2112

If you find a source, let us know. :)

Apple had some in the refurb store a couple of months back, and I could kick myself for not buying one then.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Same here, I was gonna buy one, then all the suddon any that were available online disappeared, there were also some on Best Buy at one point.

4. macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

It sounds odd, but as recently as last month, I saw some old 5th gen iPod Nanos in the case at my local Target. All mostly purple and a few pink, I believe, but at least they had Clickwheels!

I'd suggest to just check the retailers that aren't electronics giants. Target, KMart, etc.

5. macrumors 6502a

ebay? unless im reading this wrong.

6. macrumors 68000

dXTC

A while back, toward the very beginning of this year, I was in the market for one. I was hoping for blue; no dice. However, there was a silver one in the Apple refurb store, so I picked it up while I had the chance.

I haven't seen a 5th gen in the Refurb store since.

(yeah, I know, cool story bro and all that)

Anyway, a quick Google search shows a 16 Gb 5th gen available through Sears online for... get this... over $330. :eek:

7. macrumors member

8. macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, I did some searching and found that one. I found a few hits on refurb models that were cheaper, but I don't know that I would buy a refurb model from anywhere besides Apple.

Sadly, those are all the same as above. Even the 8GB new models are $200 and up. There are some refurb models on Amazon through 3rd parties, but again, I don't feel confident getting a refurb from someone other than Apple.

9. macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I don't think you're going to get one brand new without paying an arm and a leg, unfortunately. If I were you, I would just try to find a really good condition one locally on Craigslist. Not much wear and tear could happen mechanically and functionally under normal use that won't happen to one that's in a package.

My concern would be the condition of the battery and how its been maintained. Personally, I would prefer one that's been used and recharged compared to one that's been in its package and on its first charge for almost 2 years now. Something to think about, I suppose.