Where to buy from in the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lion, Jun 3, 2005.

1. lion macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I live in the Uk (Manchester) and i'm wondering if there are any shops or websites that sell ibooks/powerbooks cheaper than the apple website's educational prices.

Thank you.

2. gbulmer macrumors newbie

i don't think you'll get any lower prices than apple's education pricing anywhere, unless possibly by buying refurb. www.macwarehouse.co.uk MAY be worth a try, but I think apple's online shop is the way to go.

3. deebster macrumors 6502

You could try the John Lewis site or store.

The prices are the same as the Apple store and I don't think you can get educational discount either, but they do offer a free 2 year guarantee as opposed to the standard 1 year from Apple.

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

yep, i love john lewis; they're great.

they wont match apple's educational price though. still, i bought my first ibook from there and the 2yr warranty really was worth it!

5. anto macrumors newbie

If you're a member of the NUS (National Union of Students), then I believe their website apple education prices are the best.

6. lion thread starter macrumors newbie

Why do you think the 2yr warranty was worth it? Did you need to use it?

I think i'll buy an ibook from the apple website (educational prices) without purchacing a care package. The impression i had from previous threads is that you don't really need extra warranty as the computers are very reliable. what do you think?

7. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

8. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

apple sells refurbished macs on their website on wednesdays in the uk (although they hardly ever have much stock)

9. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

well, i bought my first ibook around 5 years ago, when i wasn't aware of the edu discount..so as far as i was concerned, the 1 year extra was free (seeing as i didnt knw about the discount).

so, basically, you may as well just order it straight from apple at edu prices. .:)

10. lion thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to get educational discount on the, already discounted, refurbished price ?

11. icarus451 macrumors newbie

GBM Manchester

I've used GBM in manchester (look on apple site for details).
    They match the apple website and give apple education prices if you show an NUS card.

My sister bought direct from apple and took her ibook to GBM for a replacement superdrive - back in 9 days, great service!! No messing with couriers and call centers!

12. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

No.
    The reason why there isn't much stock on there these days is that it seems to be sold through the actual store (Regent St, don't know about Birmingham).

13. lion thread starter macrumors newbie

Great advice,, i didn't know about this store, i'm glad there is a store in manchester that offers educational prices, which means i will not have to wait ages for the delivery from the apple online store.
    I'll wait till monday for the wwdc announcements and then will go and check their prices. I'm hoping to see some good discounts on the ibook range. :)

14. icarus451 macrumors newbie

I'm waiting for a new ibook aswell.
    The ibook range update is long overdue (see buyers guide on this site). 256mb of RAM isn't really enough for Tiger to run so a basic memory update is looking pretty likely (on mini macs aswell), as is a graphics card update. (apple has also just slashed prices of RAM on its site)

wwdc is the only keynote until september so I think monday is the day.
    GBM wouldn't be drawn when I asked them about the possibility of a new ibook - but did tell me that apple never releases new machines on monday.
    Other parts of this forum say that apple updates their product lines on Tuesday. Mmmm keynote monday... tuesday update.

Not sure what apple have planned. I think if they don't move to G5s for powerbooks they'll update to faster G4s for both ibooks and powerbooks.
    There's also a lot of speculation about widescreen models. Makes sense really, considering apple's commitment to HD Video. That may only happen on the powerbook range though - just to make them different from ibooks.

Personally I want a souped up ibook, with a 15" widescreen.
    We'll see!

15. icarus451 macrumors newbie

Applestore Manchester

London, Birmingham... Manchester?

Considering Manchester has the largest design and tv communities outside London, I think the next Applestore will be in Manchester.

There has been a lot of speculation that Apple are looking for suitable premises in manchester and as the Arndale Centre is just having a major new section built - this could be an excellent opportunity for apple to build another flagship store - to their own specifications.

Also with retail sales generally so low in the UK in a bit of a slump - and apple being on such a high, you're more likely to see an Applestore move in rather than an existing big retailer (many of which already have large stores in manchester anyway)