Where to buy Memory for 15" 1.5Ghz Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jaede33, Sep 11, 2004.

1. jaede33 macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2004
    Okay, I will admit when it comes to RAM, I am a little lacking in my jargon and general knowledge of the chips. The scenario: I am buying a powerbook 15" 1.5Ghz from the apple store in a couple of days but I can't really afford the RAM prices on the apple site - very pricy $$$ - So, I thought I would get that computer with one stick of 512mb RAM and then purchase a stick of Gigabyte RAM from another retailer - that would total around 1.5 gigs of RAM which should be plenty for what I am doing (graphics/gaming/lots of ripping/etc.)

So, what I need to know is (1) what to watch out for when buying RAM and (2) where is the best place to get the RAM from; prices seem to very alot and there is also alot of technical RAM specific jargon that I don't understand.

Thanks = )
  2. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Crucial's website, crucial.com, has a very good explanation to any and all questions you may have. Simply enter your computer's configuration and it gives you all the memory options.
  3. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i use crucial, but i heard people use dealram and ramjet. crucial has been increasing ram prices recently so maybe you could wait a bit
  4. jaromski macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2004
    another alternative for memory is mushkin.com. i have been very satisfied with their memory in terms of both price and performance.

5. lazymuoio macrumors member

Jun 30, 2004
    New York
    crucial is the most used here but another alternative is kingston both are credible and reliable sources
  6. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I also see a lot of people recommending Other World Computing (OWC). I've never purchased from them, but I've heard nothing but great things about them. You can find their website here.
  7. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2004
    I used OWC and they are great. The ram got here fast and works perfectly. I bought the OWC brand 1gig module for my 15" 1.5 PB. They also sell a Samsung that is used by apple for $90 more, but not necessary uless it will drive you crazy not having apple vendors in your machine.

I got my PB with the 512 ram on one chip so I didn't have to lose half my existing ram just to put a 1gig chip in it. I don't know what the retail cost from apple is for this upgrade (I got this as an education store promo), but might be worth the extra bucks (stock, you will end up having to lose 256 in one slot to free it up for the new ram - get all 512 in one slot and you will have one open slot available for new ram)