Where to buy my ibook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AdamH87, Jul 24, 2005.

1. AdamH87 macrumors newbie

Ok so i decided I'm buying the following....

12" ibook
    ipod mini
    HP printer thats 90 bucks

Not sure whether to buy it from apple.com or amazon just yet.

Apple ibook with combo drive is 950...amazon is 1000...but amazon gives 100 buck rebate. Apple gives the 90 buck printer for free with rebtae if you buy from apple.com.

Deciding questions are: Does apple.com or amazon charge sales tax? i heard apple does..which wud be alot :(. Also can you use the student union free ipod deal if you buy from amazon? The printer rebate form said you must do it on the apple site but idk about the ipod. I want 512mb of ram...and apple does that for you for 67 bucks...is it hard to upgrade ram on a labtop(only done it on desktops). How much will it cost to get the stick of ram. Thanks!

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Good purchase choice. Apple charges sales tax, amazon does not. You cannot get the free iPod through Amazon. Upgrading the RAM is pretty easy. If you can do it in a desktop, you can do it on an iBook, just follow a nice guide (google for putting ram in iBook G4).

Sorry, but it annoys me to the extreme when people call laptops labtops. They're LAPtops, aka they go on your lap. Sorry, but man does that annoy me.

Good luck with the purchase, you'll love it!

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Since you said $950, I assume you are a student. Even with tax, buying directly from the Apple Store will save you money after rebates. You can get a free printer or $100 off a printer/scanner plus a free mini or $179 off any other iPod. Beats the $100 rebate from Amazon and the lack of tax.

4. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

5. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Think of it this way
    with amazon you get $100 rebate. 999-100, zero taxes, free shipping=$900 total. no iPod or anything.
    Apple. 949+100 tax(based on 10%tax) 1049-free iPod(179),879-free printer(100). total price accounting in iPod and Printer's value : 779 and you basically pay 280 for an iPod and printer.
    Go with apple youll be getting a better deal overall

6. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Based on that info, unless you like tossing money, you have no choice but to buy from Apple. The HP printer and iPod will both be free. If you go to Amazon, you're going to spend $270 more. No way tax or their rebate can overcome that. The student union and free printer are Apple only.

7. AdamH87 thread starter macrumors newbie

tankoo everyone. i was under the impression that i cud possibly use the ipod rebate anywhere. If only apple didnt charge stupid tax lol. Goin with apple.com..maybe ill get the griffen itrip n such from amazon tho its cheaper there.

8. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

Get over it...

[​IMG]

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

10. illegal amigo macrumors member

11. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Yes, I had an apple store employee assure me that all you needed to do was get multiple receipts and make a copy of the UPC. He also advised me to put a note in the envelope with the copy explaining why it was not the original. I am still awaiting my rebates, but I was ASSURED it was all ok.

EDIT: On second thought, dont trust me. Call em up! Im sure theyd be happy to answer that question, and I while I am pretty sure ill be ok, I dont want to be responsible for you losing a hundred bucks on teh off chance I was wrong!

12. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

hey illegal amigo, read the small print in the one link above for the printer rebate. It says if you are doing multiple Apple promotions that you just send in your original upc with the first promotion and a copy of that for the second one. So you can have both and have your cake and eat it too. :p

Edit: somebody beat me to it with explaining that.

13. adamjaskie macrumors member

Make sure you send in the real UPC with the iPod offer; that way if something DOES go wrong, you are only fighting over $90 instead of $200+.

14. RJP31484 macrumors regular

haha... thats exactly waht I thought when I did mine... I sent in the real one for the edu. $100 rebate, and the copy for the $89 printer rebate. I figure.. hey.. if there IS a problem, Ill save myself 11 bucks! ;)

15. hatteras macrumors newbie

How does one get the $100 Amazon discount people are talking about in this thread? Is it an edu discount, or something else? Thanks!

16. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

?? you still have to pay for the ipod and printer so you can't subtract the cost