Where to buy my memory ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Stojamow, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Stojamow macrumors regular

OK... I need/want a 1Gb modules. I have tried www.crucial.com but they have 256 & 512 modules. Not the 1024 one I am looking for.

Do I really have to buy it from Apple by the ridiculous amount of money they are asking for... ?!?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

What kind of computer is this for? Remember that if you have a PowerMac G5 that you have to install the memory in pairs. So for a 1 GB upgrade you need to buy (2) 512MB DIMMs.

Here are some other places to look for memory:

www.memorytogo.com
    www.coastmemory.com
    www.4allmemory.com
    www.ramjet.com
    www.kingston.com
    www.edgememory.com

3. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

After Crucial, I go to Kingston. I have used Kingston in my PC's and never had a problem, never had any bad ram.

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Crucial most likely has the modules you want. They also have very good prices, probably the lowest you are going to find. You need not use their memory selector to determine what module you need. If you know what kind it is, you can simply select a 1gig module by yourself.

What kind of box are you looking to buy this for?

If you goto crucial.com and click on the "memory upgrades" button at the top of the page you can select the type you want from the column on the left hand side. For most modern macs, as best as I can tell, PC2100 will work for many, or for the latest and greatest, PC2700 is used.

For a desktop system you want 184-pin dimms and for a laptop you want 200-pin sodimms. I'm seeing 1gig modules listed for both regular dimms and sodimms.

5. Stojamow thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - forgot to mention. It is for 15" Albook...

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I believe that uses SODIMMS so you will may have a harder time finding it. There was a company that first sold it. I think the name was transatlantic but don't hold me to that. I will tell you that a 1 GB SODIMM will not be cheap!

www.4allmemory.com has some for $424.99 w/free shipping
    www.kingston.com has some for $672.00
    www.memorytogo.com has some for $495.00
    www.coastmemory.com has some for $429.00

There I did all the work for you! I've used coastmemory and I;ve never had any problems with them. I've also used 4allmemory and they are also pretty good.

8. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Those are pretty bad prices. Crucial only charges $369.99 for a 1gig sodimm. Shipping is free to, although you may have to pay sales tax depending on what state you live in.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...also have a look at Trans Intl. - they are pretty good too, lifetime warranty, and prices should be fairly competitive.....oh yeah!

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule