Where to buy new PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KwilsonCCO, Apr 12, 2004.

1. KwilsonCCO macrumors member

Hi all my first post

Where should you buy a standard order powerbook? MacMall or such
    or AppleStore?

Doesnt Applestore charge tax?and macmall doesnt?

Doesnt matter about student discount because im not a student

I have a old ibook g3 500 i got off ebayand it is my first and only mac

but i have to have a new one after i have experienced them
    im debating the ibook 14 vs the 12 pb
    but the superdrive comes in the powerbooks so thats what i hope to get

Anyone think a superdrive will be in a ibook one day soon?

maybe the powerbooks will get a 4x supderive and they could put a slow 1x or 2 x superdive g4 ibook

That would be great

I mean even the emac has a superdrive
    i Say the ibook should have one also

2. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Do you have any potential discounts? (edu, etc). If not, then buy from a location that does charge tax, such as powermax.net or smalldog.com, etc. Or, if you don't mind having a refurb, keep an eye open at smalldog.com and apple refurb's store. There are some serious saving there.

Of course, if you are like me, I didn't want to wait for it, so I just went to an apple store and bought one.

Samuel L Bronkowitz

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've had good luck in the past with MacWarehouse and CDW. Technically you are obligated to pay sales tax even if the Web merchant doesn't add it to your invoice, but most states aren't very rigorous about seeking payment.

I agree with you about superdrives in iBooks--but first we need to get faster superdrives in PowerBooks!

4. reaper macrumors 6502

if you have to get one right now, i suggest any of the online retailers since they are usually cheaper than brick-and-mortar stores and don't charge tax. plus, they offer other deals like free ram, free printer, etc.

but, with all of the buzz about product updates in the upcoming months, i would wait a little and see what happens. at the very least, there is probably going to be a price drop. at least that's what i'm hoping for, and then a new g4 pb will be mine! :D

- reaper

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Buy at Smalldog. They are a great place to buy from. The people are nice and the company makes lots of donations to worthy causes. Smalldog is the exact opposite of Enron. :)

With that said, you should wait till tomorrow to buy your powerbook from Smalldog as there could be updates tomorrow.

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

General cybernetics

They are nice and helpful plus I got a imac 1.25ghz with bt, i gig ram, 160 gb hd BTO and a wireless mouse and keyboard for 2114...there charge no tax and they r great

Contact John Mott a sales rep @ john.mott@generalcybernetics.com and say Ismael sent you

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Buy from an Apple Retail Store. Those stores are worth paying tax just to be in because, tough tax is charges, they usually do the free ram thing if you have an ad, plus now there is that free printer rebate (everyone has it). They will get you set up, and the stores are soo freakin cool looking. I wish I worked in one, but I'm only 16. But when I'm in college, HA Ho!(in george's voice).

8. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Absolutely buy from Smalldog!!! What a great socially conscious and generous organization. I just bought a refurb 15" PB from them, and I couldn't be happier. If it had been used before I certainly can't tell, and the sales/support staff were a pleasure to work with! :D :D

:rolleyes: I've been hearing THAT rumor since February 1st!

9. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I have had nothing but good results with MacMall, no tax outside of California, free ram, and free printer, if you call them they can even work out some pretty good deals for you.

10. rstroud macrumors regular

When I thought I had a ton of money to buy an iBook (now it's cut in half :( ), I had some correspondence with smalldog.com. They had great customer service and were very helpful with any questions I had. Check out their price list!

11. belf8st macrumors member

Macreviewzone does weekly updates of the best priced apple hardware.

I ordered my powerbook from amazon to avoid the sales tax. I placed the order on friday morning and the powerbook was delivered to me the following monday!