Where to buy PowerBook RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wuju, Mar 31, 2004.

1. wuju macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy a 12" PowerBook in the next couple weeks. I'd like to buy my additional RAM from a third party, since Apple charges so much. Any recommendations? I'm trying to be cautious because I've read some "bad RAM" horror stories. Thanks!

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Some people will suggest you google or go to some online shop that sells "guaranteed" mac compatible RAM for cheap, but your safest bet really is order it from Crucial.com. They always have a 5% discount and free 2 day fedex. Customer service is excellent, as is the no question RAM return policy on their life time warranty.

3. Cypher3 macrumors regular

I purchased a 512 mb ram module from Crucial.com and it works perfect with both the iBook I used to have and the PowerBook I have now.

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

www.crucial.com/partners to save an extra 5%! I just bought a 12'' Powerbook myself and I ordered a 512 meg stick from them. No problems at all. Crucial is the place to go for ram.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I've always bought my Powerbook, Powermac and iMac memory from OWC. I've never had a problem with any of it, or any other products that I've ordered from them. They are also very responsive if you have any questions.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I buy all my computer accessories and parts from www.newegg.com, you can get a Crucial 512MB PC2700 SODIMM for $125 w/ free fedex shipping. That beats the price direct from Crucial by $8, even with the 5% discount, and I don't know what they charge for shipping. Newegg has the best prices on just about everything, and they have pretty good customer service for an online discount retailer (basically, they follow the 'letter of the law' as laid out on thier webpage... no more, no less - at least i's consistant).

I've pesonally built 2 PC's with parts just about exclusively from them, and my roommates have built a total of 6 other systems mostly ordering from newegg, and out of all those we've probably had to return around 3 items, and they have always cross shipped us replacements as soon as we asked for them.

Rob

7. crowdaddy macrumors regular

Ok, How do you install RAM in a laptop? Is it possible to do it on your own?

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

9. gemio17 macrumors regular

access is usually gained by pulling up the keyboard-the ram is usually housed under there...somebody smarter than me can def. give you more precise info/instructions on your particular laptop- or you can always google it, it's really easy to do.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, I am not disagreeing with you, just wanted to point out that the 12" PB uses PC2100 ram, whereas the 15/17" uses PC2700 (faster and a bit more expensive). Also, in my experience, RAM is one area where brand can make a difference. I tend, like Celeron, to lean toward Crucial. They make a consistantly good product.

That said, I have also had good luck with some generic, no name RAM, as it is often just un-labeled parts from the same suppliers as the brand name stuff.

I show a brandless 512MB PC2700 SODIMM from otherworld.com to be $109.99, plus whatever thier shipping cost is (maybe you could tell us?)

If it were me the extra $10, less whaver shipping is, for Crucial brand is worth it. But, that's just me. :)

Rob

PS I haven't any idea how to put RAM in a PB, but Apple's site lists it as being 'user installable' so it's gotta be easy!

11. wuju thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. Just as a sidenote, how much RAM do you guys have/recommend? I know everybody says the more RAM the better with Macs, but i'm pretty sure that 1.25GB would be overkill.

Is there a noticeable difference between 512MB and 768MB? The most RAM-intensive thing I can imagine myself doing is running GarageBand.

12. g808 macrumors regular

I bought a stick of 512MB for my 17" PB from Crucial since their price dropped at the time, and it has worked perfectly. They have a no questions asked return policy. I can speak to this since some RAM for my PC I ordered was defective. They also have free 2nd day shipping.

MemoryX sells Samsung RAM, which is what Apple uses. They have free shipping on orders over $100. Might not be the fastest shipping, but its free.

I've heard good things about the quality from RamJet.

13. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

What are the specs of the PB memory sticks?

Hi,

I am living in Europe, so I'd rather order from an european dealer and save on the shipping, than go through the hassle of shipping oversea (VAT / delay...)

Anybody knows what the specs for a 15'' Powerbook SD memory stick are?

Chanks!
    Palad1

14. ericbrin macrumors newbie

Installing RAM in a 12'' PowerBook

It is very simple to install RAM in a 12'' PowerBook. Just turn over your laptop and you will notice a rectangular cover with four screws in it. Get a small philips screwdriver and take this off. There you will see your existing RAM. Just switch that out with your new RAM (there's only one slot). Here is a link to a pdf from Apple's support page regarding this matter: http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/pbg4/pbg4-12in-mem.pdf

Eric