where to buy ram for ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by arcterix100, Feb 6, 2005.

1. arcterix100 macrumors newbie

hi,
    i decided to buy a 512mb of ram chip for my ibook so i can run garageband and cad software easily. I would of liked 1gb but it is kind of out of my budjet. I would like to know if you guys had good or bad experiences with ram seller over the web.
    thanks
    pete

2. lfielder06 Guest

SEARCH!!!!!

You will find crucial has a very good reputation on these boards. I personally went with outpost.com for my 1gb stick. No problems. Check out www.dealram.com for lowest prices.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you want a specific recommendation, in the USA go to Data Memory Systems www.datamem.com They know and use Macs and have been in business 17 years.

If you want a general recommendation; buy only from a seller who gives a written guarantee that the RAM is tested and compatible in your model of Mac, and offers a lifetime warranty.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. all-devourer macrumors newbie

1GB Crucial ~ $325 (Over 475 for powerbook ram!!)
    1GB Datamem, Mushkin, OWC ~ $235
    1GB Newegg ~ $185 People claim it's working in both power and i books. Newegg makes no such claims but the stats match apple requirements.

I've had nothing but good luck with OWC and Newegg...but again, Newegg makes no apple compatibility claims.

My favorite website: http://www.ramseeker.com

5. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

No shortage of threads on this subject on MR. A little bit of effort will pull up all the usual sites that offer good deals on RAM.

I personally like www.outpost.com, as they usually seem to be the cheapest. Unfortunately their low priced deals usually run for only a short time, so you have to go to their site often and jump on the deal as soon as it is available.

On the bright side though, the above doesn't cost anything except a little bit of your time and the savings are usually worth it :)

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Second that for Outpost

Hello, I have bought ram from Outpost with no problems and depending onwhere you live for $10 extra next day delv. Good luck :p