Where to buy RAM for Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hirstopher, Dec 16, 2004.

1. hirstopher macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2004
    Just got my brand spanking new 12" Powerbook 1.33 w/ superdrive etc. and am nw in the market for RAM. I tried Crucial, but they're out of stock and I'd like to make a purchase sooner than later (256 built in is clearly not enough). Any suggestions?

12" Powerbook 1.33ghz
    3G 15GB iPod.
    Never been happier since switching.
  2. mikeyfern macrumors member

Mar 3, 2004
    I bought from 1800memory.com, it works just fine.

If you go to DealRAM.com, you can compare prices from vendors.
  3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I bought mine from OWC. Though there was a post here recently that mention a $160 price for a 1GB stick I think from Outpost.com.
  4. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    but i never bother
    i just went to compusa and bought a 512 made by centor for 114.99 and theres 45 dollar mail in rebate

i guess it was ok

i just installed and it reads it....

so ya....u can always go to compusa.com

theres a 1 gb for 259.99

or check out ebay
    keywords to use are
    powerbook g4 memory ram

u will most likely see OMNI

i contacted a few ebay buyers that bought they claim it runs smoothly

IMO, i think ram is all the same...

it is just a buyers perspective, mines was made in taiwan, but for 69.99 and a local company? u cant go wrong w/ that

anyone else agree with me?
  5. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    another thing

MAYA knows or has the link for 1 GB stick for only 160
  6. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.

There you go they have it in stock and it works like a charm in the iBooks and PowerBooks. I say max it out to 2GB. (lucky %$^, I wish the iBook has a max of 2GB ram I would so do it :) )

Already have 1280MB ram and it is uber fast. :)
  7. Jsmit macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2004
    I bought from XMemory. I went there because crucial was out of gig modules at the time.

Only complaint is that their shipping is poor. I paid for UPS but they shipped DHL. I think my shippment got held up for some reason, and they wanted to send it express so othey used DHL. No big deal in the end (did take 2 weeks here but my PB, which was ordered leter, only beat it here by a couple hours). They also don't have tracking.

Oh course the RAM from Fry's is cheaper, but they only a one year warranty (correct me if I'm wrong). That price would have been very tempting if I had known sooner.
  8. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    maya what kind of performance do you like i would see if my powerbook went from 768 to 1.25gb in ram?
  9. hirstopher thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2004

Purchased 1gig stick from Outpost. Thanks so much. It's going to be a very speedy christmas.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Depends entirely on what you are doing with the machine.

If you are using one application that fits entirely within the 768 Mb available your performance increase will be.... zero.

If you regularly use a multitude of applications open at once so that you are routinely pushing the RAM requirements past 768 Mb and generating many page-outs, you will see a noticeable speed improvement by going to 1.25 Gb

In general: Adding RAM improves speed up to the point at which you have enough RAM and you have removed the roadblocks to speed. The "enough" point varies with your software and how you use it.
    More RAM than that does not add speed unless you increase your applications' load.