where to buy ram.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Blind Buzzard, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Blind Buzzard macrumors member

Quick question, where is the best on-line location to purchase a gig stick of ram for a new iBook G4 12in? Best price and best hardware?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I just bought 2 1GB sticks of Crucial RAM from Newegg.com for $120 each. That was the best price I could find. Crucial is usually recommended as the best memory.

3. robcts macrumors regular

Check out www.crucial.com

4. Blind Buzzard thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the assistance

I have checked at Crucial already, but was hoping for a better price. I also looked through Newegg for sometime but wasn't having any luck specifically for iBook ram.

5. brendel95 macrumors regular

try OWC. They sell lots of mac stuff. I bought 1GB for my Power Mac couple of months ago. No problem and they guarantee compatibility. Of course it is cheaper than crucial

http://eshop.macsales.com/

6. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I use the Crucial RAM to get all the applicable specs and plug em into the Newegg search. I brought me to a Crucial-brand 1GB stick of RAM for 106 dollars, a Kingston for ~120, whereas the Crucial RAM was more like 150-160$.

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

They don't list "iBook RAM" beside the thing. You just have to know what kind you need.

8. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

The most important thing about where you buy your RAM is that they guarantee Mac compatibility and offer lifetime replacement.
    Other than Crucial & OWC, the other place you'll see mentioned on these forums that satisfy those criteria is DataMem (www.datamem.com).

I've personally bought RAM from both Crucial & DataMem & had good experiences with both.

Good luck!

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would recommend CanadaRAM normally, however I see you're not in Canada... :eek: ;) As a result, I agree with AstrosFan, no matter where you go, make sure the company guarantees Mac compatibility and has a lifetime warranty.

10. Blind Buzzard thread starter macrumors member

--thanks--

A big thanks to all that contributed, now I have a few options to look at.

11. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I agree with newegg.com I just purchased a 1gb stick from them a week ago. $130 shipped or so.