Where to buy video cards....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by scem0, Aug 28, 2002.

1. macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I am looking to buy a GeForce 2 MX for my 450 MHz pMac. Where should I get it? I am on a very low budget, so basically I am asking where I can get it cheapest. Thanks :D!
  2. macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    try dealtime.com
    do a search through them for a comparison of various sellers

but it's tough to tell which ones are for mac. if any.....
  3. Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    as I hate to say it...I always look to ebay for deals before shopping anywhere...

but in the past I've had great experience with MacMall (www.macmall.com) ;)
  4. macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    the cheapest mac vid card ive ever seen is a radeon 7000 for 100 ( like open box or clearence at Fry's, i dont remember which). i think its normally like 129, right?
    Im not sure if they actually sell a mac version of the gf2Mx. I know they have one, but retail is different than configured systems (example: gf3 on the older G4s. Now, you cant even buy a gf3 that would remotely work on a mac unkess its one taken out of an older g4). I'd go w/ a radeon 7000 w/ 64 megs (umm i think thats how much it has ;) ) if you can find one cheap. Thats should be a definate choice because it is a dedicated mac version of its PC cousin.
  5. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's not possible to get a new GeForce 2 MX or 4 MX by itself. Someone who's upgraded to a GeForce 3Ti or 4Ti may have one for auction though.

The cheaper retail cards are both from ATI--Radeon 7500 and 9000, if you're looking for AGP. If it's PCI, the Radeon PCI or Radeon 7000.
  6. macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001
    RADEON 9000

i'm going to put a RADEON 9000 in my powermac g4 400 in a few weeks. it's new and it's fast. it's also cheap at $149. and then, when new apple displays come out, i'll be able to hook it up to my g4
  7. macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002

But my only disagreeance is that you can buy a mac GF4 Ti. Its called the apple grahpics upgarde kit and its US$419 at Comp USA (where i saw it).

also, i suggest you get your 'tar from dukestreet if you are gunna get one.