Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cypher, Jan 26, 2004.

1. cypher macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting a PB 12" but I'm not sure where to get it from. I want to get it froma reseller who doesnt charge tax and applies the edu discount .Do any of the mac resellers do this?

Thanks!

2. cypher thread starter macrumors member

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

I think the education discount is through only Apple, and of course you have to pay sales tax in any state from them.

Some online stores like MacMall don't charge sales tax except for like 4 states in the US. Check the buyer's guide at www.macspeedzone.com/ .

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

J&R gave me a "modest" edu. discount when i mentioned the fact i was a student. ($50 off for rev. A 12" PB about a year ago.) at that time, the apple store was out of stock for the 12" PB but J&R had it in stock. since J&R didn't charge me sales tax, i ended up paying just a few dollars more for my PB with no tax, J&R edu. discount compared to apple store with tax and edu. discount...

if you want the full edu. discount, you need to order from the apple store. if you are close to one of those states not charging sales tax (NH, DE, etc...), you can drive to their apple retail store and not pay sales tax but get the edu discount.

however, i should note that you are supposed to pay tax on them when you file the state income tax. it's called "use tax." if you get audited, don't tell me i didn't warn you! :D