Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veebee09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I am trying to buy someone's Iphone 4 but am worried that once I get it I won't be able to get a new SIM card through AT&T given that it might have been reported lost or stolen. The buyer gave me all the specs on their phone -- I don't have the phone physically but he showed me via webcam and it looked legit.

Is there a website where I can check if a phone has been reported lost or stolen maybe through a serial number?

Should I try calling AT&T with the serial number and checking if it has been reported lost or stolen? Would AT&T even give me that information?

Also, in the long run, would AT&T really care?? -- after all, they would still be making a profit even if the phone could be lost or stolen (hopefully it's not, though!)

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
ask the seller for the IMEI. then call at&t and explain the situation. they wont be able to give you owners info, but should be allowed to tell you that the account the IMEI is currently tied to is up to date and valid. at&t cannot blacklist IMEIs but no one wants to buy a stolen phone. if it was a verizon phone, they wouldnt allow the MEID to be activated, leaving you hanging. when i bought my wifes iphone 4 online, i asked for the MEID then called verizon and they said the account was valid and the MEID was good. i dont see any reason why at&t wouldnt help you with that.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
In my opinion, the most important part about doing an online transaction is trusting the seller or buyer. If you can't do that, then I wouldn't even go through with the transaction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.