Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shorty116

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
where are all the default system icons? like the applications "a" (not the folder with the a). if you plug in an ipod it automatically gets the right icon (shuffle has shuffle icon, etc.) are those on the ipod or system? where to find those icons? i know how to change them, but can't find the defaults...

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
The iPod ones might be in iTunes (but don't hold me to that!)

Ctl-Click on iTunes and 'Show Package Contents' is they are.

::20ROGERSC::

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I thought they were in the iPod Software Updater...

I cannot check now as I always delete it after upgrading the iPod to save space on my iBook, but I cannot find any iPod icons inside iTunes.app, so I think it must be in the Updater...

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I thought they were in the iPod Software Updater...

I cannot check now as I always delete it after upgrading the iPod to save space on my iBook, but I cannot find any iPod icons inside iTunes.app, so I think it must be in the Updater...
OK, it was only a thought!

::20ROGERSC::

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
icons for the ipod ARE in the software update package contents. thats all i have to say.

does anyone know how to get the original HD icon back. i accidently switched it to the iDisk one and i can't get it back.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
20rogersc said:
OK, it was only a thought!
I actually thought you were right, and went "into" iTunes.app to look and confirm your post... it was just when I didn't find anything I started wondering where I'd seen those icons... ;)

yankeefan24 said:
does anyone know how to get the original HD icon back. i accidently switched it to the iDisk one and i can't get it back.
Open the inspector window (mark the HD and press cmd-I), click on the HD icon and press backspace/delete... :)

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Open the inspector window (mark the HD and press cmd-I), click on the HD icon and press backspace/delete... :)

that worked. thanks. now to find an icon set i like… that could be a handy tip as i am now starting to change logos (just tried finder without success), and if i ever bring it into the genius bar and they say, we cant troubleshoot it because of those custom logos (doubt it but it might happen knowing my luck there) it could work.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
http://panic.com/candybar/

"Trick out your Trashcan. Decorate your Drives. Mix up Mail.
CandyBar 2 lets you change the Mac OS X icons you usually can't!"

screen-2.jpg

Magnum26

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2007
Wroughton, UK
Thanks this is just what I needed. I had candybar icons but when I upgraded to Leopard it left the hard drive icon and I couldn't work out how to restore the icon without candy bar.

Clicking the icon in the title of the info window and pressing the backspace/delete button worked.

Thanks again!!! :D
:apple:

jrennell

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2006
For those interested

If anyone is interested in manually changing default icons, many are located in the System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle->Contents/Resources.

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
icons for the ipod ARE in the software update package contents. thats all i have to say.

Where can I find this iPod software updater and where exactly are the icons?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.