Where to find good icon designers?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Starfox, Dec 30, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2011
    I'm working on an app for submission to the Mac App Store and as I'm approaching the final stages I need a good icon designer - where do indies usually go for icon designs?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2003
    Richmond, VA
    I've heard really good things about Icon Factory. Never used them myself though.
  3. Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    I used them once about 7 years ago. Expensive, but good.

I used to have a large number of designers bookmarked, but now you're probably just better off googling for a designer and check out their portfolio.
  4. macrumors 68000

Sep 8, 2006
    I had this same question. I have find things on the web that are free but the main problem that I am finding is that I may find an icon of a phone but when I find an icon of a email that I like it is different then the phone. The app starts to look like it was pieced together instead of having a consistent look and feel.

I thought I would first finish my app and then decided what I needed to do to give it a consistent look. by hiring a designer to create my custom items I need.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2011
    I can't seem to find decent designers using Google thanks to the amount of junk content - can anyone recommend a place to look for designers or any designers directly?
  6. macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    You could look here. Find someone who's work you like and then see if they have a home page and are looking for work.
  7. macrumors 65816

Nov 4, 2010
    use dribbble.com. generally the best of the best designers have an account there
  8. macrumors member

Apr 5, 2006
    Whitby, ON, Canada
    I actually just discovered odesk.com today and am pretty excited about looking through the talent there. I've seen a few very talented individuals on there and it seems like you can get them to work for you at a bargain. Plus, you have access to people from all over the world so there is plenty to choose from.
  9. macrumors member

Jan 3, 2011
  10. macrumors newbie

May 17, 2012
    I like glyfx icons. Used them for many of my projects.