where to get a cheap 20"+ crt in or avalible to canada

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Anarchy99, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

where can i get a cheap 20"+ crt in or avalible to canada
    and i mean cheap as in not alot of money not poor quality

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your biggest problem is not finding it, it is shipping it. You can find monitors from $79 but it will cost $50 - $80 to ship it (and you have a fair possibility of damage in shipping)

Your best bet is to look locally. You should have one or more used computer stores near you, auctions, Computer user group garage sales, government surplus sales. Pretty much any large screen CRT is compatible with a Mac PROVIDED it is a true multi-syncing moitor. Some older monitors and some that came with Sun and HP workstations are fixed to one sync frequency, and you may have an issue getting a mac to recognize it. Even the early single-frequency Apple monitors are not compatible with G3 and above.

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

There has to be some sort of cheap computer seller who sells 20" + CRTs by you.

4. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

not realy the only computer store in my small town is Kootany Buisness Systems and the cheapest crt is a 17" for $175 or just over $500 for there cheapest lcd from what i see online that is not cheap
    its unfair becuase no one else sells stuff locally they mark-up through the roof

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You will be looking for a used monitor because most companies have discontinued making glass tubes larger than 19". Off the top of my head, Viewsonic is the only company selling a 22" tube anymore. CAN$760 P220F-3 or $800 P225FB-6 new, plus shipping. Sony and NEC are out, Samsung has a 21" CF21GSBU CAN$700.

Maybe time for a road trip to Vancouver, or have a buddy in the big smoke scout out used monitors for you. Check with rental companies too, they sometimes sell off rental stock.