where to get a torx screw driver set?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Jan 8, 2004.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I just got my hard drive in for my powerbook and i need to get a torx screw driver set. Sears just closed down in my area and I know that sears sells them. Im just trying to find out if walmart or radio shack might sell them. Does anyone know?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

gOd i hate those things, never can find the right size, any good hardware store should have them or try low's or home depot.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

True Value would have them, along with just about any neighborhood hardware store. Wal Mart should have them, too.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

This is a standard item--any hardware store/home center would have them.

5. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

This doesn't help you immediately, but for your portable geeking needs I recommend the Swiss Army Cybertool pocketknife.

It has the usual assortment of Swiss Army stuff, plus a precision flathead screwdriver, two sizes of slotted screwdriver, and a bit wrench with 4 two-sided bits including torx bits, hex bits, and phillips-head bits.

And it's small enough to carry around in your pocket without people asking if you're happy to see them.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

radio shack probably has them. At walmart its worth looking. Like everoyne else said its a common tool like a screwdriver, just not something you'd find in a gas station. Oh yeah do you have a ratchet set? my dad had a ratchet set where i found all the tools to take apart my xbox

7. slowtreme macrumors 6502

I picked up a jewlers screwdriver from home depot for 5 bucks I think. 3 bits, use the regular (slot) side for the torx since they are not that tight and it fits fine in the hex hole. but you'll need jewlers philips once you get inside.

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i have a set for my Benchmade knife collection, $6 from some knife shops or ebay.

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Some of the early macs require a really long torx screw driver, I'd like to get my mac plus apart, but the torx screw is too deep down a long dark hole. hmm

I'd like to know what a mac tech would have in a minimal tool kit.

11. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i'm a mac tech. i have a quite a few lying around at work but when i do housecalls i always have on me 2 torx long and short, small phillps for PCI slots and stuff, a little set of tiny assorted screwdrivers, tape (for holding screws), larger phillips for taking apart imacs, a tool for apple certified techs that is used for removing key caps and other clipped items (looks like a wide plastic screwdriver), voltage tester, there must be a few more items i'm forgetting. i don't carry a soldering iron.

12. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks guys for the help. i didnt know it was that common of an item. ill check lowes, true value or radio shack... since thats whats in my area.

13. K12MacTech macrumors member

My set of torx drivers is from Sears. Looked at Radio Shack previously and my local one doesn't carry them in the sizes needed. May be able to find them at a local hardware store - the main size you need is a T-8.