Where to get Ram for PowerMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mackaveli, May 2, 2005.

1. mackaveli macrumors regular

May 1, 2005
    Hi, i'm just wondering where i can get Ram for the PowerMac for a good price and good brand. Online or maybe if anyone lives in Edmonton Alberta Canada can tell me a store that has good deals.

Also, im going to buy the PowerMac tomorrow and it has 512ram and i was wondering is it worth the extra 119 CDN to upgrade from 2x256 to 2x512?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    It really depends how far you want to take the machine, how quickly.

The upgrade price to 1 Gb (2 x 512) instead of 512 Mb (2 x 256) is not too bad at CAN$119. You lose the 2x 256'ers but you would have to take them out eventually to upgrade anyway if you were planning for 2 Gb or more.

The alternative is going with 2 x 512 in addition to the stock 2 x 256 - this would give you 1.5 Gb total. If you suspect that this would be enough for the first year or so, then spend about CAN$170 on the 2 x 512 third party RAM, then remove the 2 x 256 and buy 2 x 1 Gb later when you need it.

And I'll repeat what others on the list (you know who you are ;) ) accuse me of sounding like a broken record about: Make sure you choose a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees the RAM for your model Macintosh.
  3. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    1GB RAM is definitely better than 512. And Apple's prices are seldom the best.

RAM sources I recommend online, who have good memory, good prices, and good Mac support:

http://eshop.macsales.com (OWC)

I've had good experiences with both. I often see OWC recommended.
  4. mackaveli thread starter macrumors regular

May 1, 2005
    thanks for the replies

well, how many slots can i have for ram? its 8 right? like 8x1,024, or 8x512 right?

i'll get the 2x512 for 119CDN, and i plan on getting either 2x512 from a store or 1x1024,

which do you think is better? 2x512 from a store or 1x1024
    also do you guys have any brand names for ram cause i never really upgraded my pc with ram and have no idea about name quality and so forth.

5. davizod macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2005
    i am also looking into purchasing RAM for a new rev b dual 2. I have heard crucial is the best? Is that true? I have found 512 sticks sold for $46 at newegg, anywhere else i should look?
  6. mackaveli thread starter macrumors regular

May 1, 2005
    hey if anyone could help me,

i have this store in my area with memory but i don't know what type of ram i need and there are several brands listed. if any expert or anyone who deals with ram for powermac's can give me any tips on what i should get from this website i'll be grateful.

and this site

so can anyone give me any suggestions and i dont even know if the stores carry the right ram because i dont know what ram im suppose to look for. thanks.
  7. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2004
    I just bought 2x512 sticks of RAM for my PM G5 through Crucial. Ive seen them recommended on this board many of times so that was the first and only place I looked plus its ::insert boston accent:: wicked ::/boston accent:: easy to find the RAM for your model on their site.
  8. ncc1701 macrumors newbie

May 2, 2005
    Cheap Ram fer G5

Great Prices! A buddy turned me on to em. I got 2gigs (2x1gb) fer under 240!

Maximum Electronics

Very cool guy! Talked fer about an hour about the right pc speakers fer my new mac, and the funny thing is he doesnt carry any, just ram and pc parts. Free advice! I just bought ram!

Tell em Landrew sent ya from NYC!
  9. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Can we make a RAM sticky?

Jeebus I'm tired of RAM threads. :rolleyes:
  10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    No, you must add RAM in pair on all G5 towers.
    Depending on your model you may have 4 slots (current Single 1.8GHz, Dual 2.0GHz) or 8 slots. (Dual 2.3 and Dual 2.7)

The RAM you are looking for is PC3200, nonECC. To be Mac compatible, the chip organization and SPD values have to be correct -- you will not be able to tell this from the specs.

Neither OEM Express nor MemoryExpress list any RAM they guarantee to be Mac compatible. Some of the Kingston ValueRAM (KVR-) modules have had compatibility problems reported with Macs, the Corsair XMS and TwinX are not Mac compatable.

Crucial is popular with many MR members, although they are pricier than some other sellers. RamJet, and Trans International have fans, OWC (MacSales) has members on both sides of the fence. I like Data Memory Systems in the USA. I recommend that Canadians stick with Canadian sellers, because shipping and border issues are not fun for warranty replacement.

Here's the thing: You can buy PC Generic memory, and if you're lucky, it will work. If you're not lucky it won't and you'll have to send it back for refund, you'll lose $20 or so in shipping charges and a bunch of time and trouble. If you're really unlucky it will look like it's working for a while but then #$&* out on you when you really need it, like running FinalCut (which beats on memory), and you'll lose data.

If you're an experienced Mac tech, this might not be an issue, but I really recommend that new Mac owners take a pass on the generics from NewEgg, Fry's and the cheapest discounters, and deal with a company that knows Macs and will guarantee their memory is compatible.