Where to go with Mac OS X server?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by orangehand, Aug 2, 2013.

1. orangehand, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2006
    my client has 2 xserves, one of which is connected via an atto r680 pci card to a la cie 12big RAID array.

given that the xserves are now long in the tooth, and Apple no longer makes a box that will take the pci card, does anyone have any thoughts as to where to go next? Client is v loathe to abandon the relatively recent investment in the RAID and card.

i imagine that the new mac pro will be terrifyingly expensive, and it cannot use the atto card.

so where next?
    anyone ever successfully virtualized os x server?

thought on a postcard please!!
  2. macrumors 68020

Jul 18, 2002
    How old are the Xserves? Which model, exactly, are they? I assume the Xserve is running as a file server. What other network services is it providing?

You can certainly get a newer (2009 / 2010) Mac Pro to tide you over for a while, but the performance of the Xserve should be adequate for quite some time for basic file serving. I'm still using a couple of Mac Pro 1,1 (2006) towers with Areca Mini-SAS RAID cards connected to 12-bay RAIDs, and they've got more than enough to serve files to our video editing workgroup.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2011
    A 2012 Mac Pro should serve you well for 5+ years. Buy the "old" current one while you still can.
  4. macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2013
    early 2009 xserve's are very current still, you can upgrade to one of those (they will run mavericks). ESX server installs on the XServe and supports virtualizing OS X server. You can also go with linux, which is what i use to virtualize OS X, Windows, and Linux in a 4 node OpenNebula Cluster.

A new mac pro can use that raid card with a thunderbolt to PCIe box, as well as a mac mini.