Where to keep iPhone on person for minimum health risks from radiation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Nov 16, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

I usually put my phone in my left pants pocket, but I am not sure if this will have any long term health effects in terms of male fertility because of its proximity to you know what. I have also seen guys put their phones in their shirt pocket. Is that bad for the heart? Anybody keep their phones in other places? Have there been any studies done on the safest place to carry cell phones on the body?

2. macrumors 601

Safest thing is to always wrap your phone in aluminum foil so no radiation leaks out.

3. macrumors regular

As long as the phone is idle, and not doing anything, I think you should be safe for the most part. However, do not quote me on this, I also worry a bit since there have been no concrete studies just yet since cell phones are still a new technology.

With that in mind, what I do is take my phone out and put in on my desk. I do this both at home and at work, and only put it in my pocket when I'm out and about. This greatly reduces the phone's contact to your body.

4. macrumors 6502a

Korican100

put it in your backpocket. So when you are walking you can have it somewhere secure, but when you sit down, you have to take it out and put it somewhere.

5. macrumors regular

There was an Italian study discussed on NPR where they showed (using imaging) the radiation does pass to your head during calls, but disperses as soon as you remove your phone (meaning the radiation level is not noticeable).

I too am concerned about it, and wouldn't trust the media or popular opinion as long term studies simply don't have enough data.

6. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

EVERYTHING can give you cancer these days. "Researchers" are much too quick to say something gives people cancer and giving products a bad name without actually having hard evidence if it really does.

7. macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Radio waves are non-ionizing, so you don't have to worry about radiation in the same sense as say X-rays, UV rays, or Gamma rays from a nuclear reactor etc.

That's not to say that there aren't other potential health risks from exposure to radio waves that aren't yet observed or understood, but it's not going to cause DNA mutations the way say a nuclear bomb or too much time exposed to the sun will.

I'd say don't worry. It's not like you ever have skin irritation where your phone has been do you?

8. macrumors 6502a

I concur

9. macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yes, this exactly.

Mobile phones are no stronger linked with cancer than coffee is (that was actually the direct comparison made in results of the last study I read about).

Besides, mobiles have been around long enough now that we would have started to see thousands reported cases of phone-induced cancers, which we have not.

EDIT: There's also no proven link to reduced male fertility, as the OP queried. The only risk to sperm count that I've heard of (electronics-related) is using small laptops for extended periods. This, however, is not directly caused by the laptop. It's actually the awkward closed-leg sitting position that's responsible.

10. macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Hrmm the prolonged exposure to heat from the laptops affects sperm count as well.

11. macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I don't think this is true, laptop computers shouldn't generate any more heat in "that area" than simply being outside on a hot day.

12. macrumors 6502a

See this is where you are wrong. Actual research done properly is much more reliable than the research you speak about. It's important to look for research from a reputable source.

Also when a research suggests a link, it doesn't mean that the link is what's causing the variables to change. For example, long cell phone usage is linked to brain tumors. That doesn't mean cell phone usage causes tumors. People who use ther cell phones a lot might be using them for work purposes and stress is what's causing the cancer.

13. macrumors 6502

Dragoro

14. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

everything gives cancer nowadays, lotion, soda, food, what else?

15. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Who do you think came up with the genius idea that microwaves from phones are dangerous in the first place, then?

16. macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

This thread.:rolleyes: if you are that worried about it, perhaps you shouldn't own a cell phone.

17. macrumors 65816

I keep my phone in my right front pants pocket, and well, I'm two for two in the kid fathering department, and both were first time tries, so at least, in my case, there was certainly not any detriment to the swimmers.

18. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Just wear a lead apron. Ask your dentist where to buy one. Just be careful, prolonged exposure to lead can lead to lead poisoning.

[​IMG]

19. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny :D

20. macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I've had a phone in my front side pocket for years now. Minus a green glowing thigh there's nothing wrong!

21. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

You must've forgot your tinfoil hat! Come on you need to prepare for these things! Lol :D :p

22. macrumors 68040

No, it is not the leg position; rather, it is the direct heat from the laptop. Anything outside the normal temp, especially in the groin area, is harmful and will result in health problems.

23. macrumors 6502

By claiming there's a link, they tend to misinform the average person into thinking it does cause cancer, especially once it gets into the media.

24. macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

Mobile phone transmitter masts are way more powerful than your phone
    So I recommend a tinfoil helmet and pants

25. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123