where to live

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Feb 24, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm thinking about where i would like to live next, and i'm definitely not satisfied with south florida. it stinks. i decided to make a list of things my new location should be.

-first off, it's going to be in the united states, i'm not considering international locations at this time.

-it needs to be easy to travel by walking or biking, so that you can get to work, shopping and around the city without having a car. a good public transport system also helps, as i have no car or driver's license currently.

-the city needs to be very safe for me to ride my bike after dark (6-10 pm), so that i'm not at the mercy of people that drive. also needs quick access to places that can take me out of town.

-i would like to live in or near downtown or a area with a small town feeling (see pacific beach, miami beach, palm beach), in a condo.

-the city needs to have a sense of community and uniqueness, as well as something going on almost every week of the year (no seasonal towns where a town could be dead in summer)

-i would prefer a warmer climate city in the south or west coast, although it's okay if it's not.

-i would like to be in or near a larger city, preferably 100k+. city center(s) must be accessible from my location without use of a car. for sports, i would like a major league team. extra point for nl team.

-the cost of living is a factor, but i will not turn down a city if the cost of living is high if it's desired enough.

-i would like to have a prominent university in the city, in case i need to visit the library or decide to go to graduate school.

-no cheesy electric companies or frequent brownouts as i get here in floriduh.

i'm not making a decision anytime soon, i would just like to have a list of cities to consider to move to in the near future and do further research on my own on each of them.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Take out the climate side and it has to be Chicago :)

3. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

San Francisco.

Its got great public transport (bart). The weather is better than Chicago by far. Its also bicycle friendly.

The cost of living is higher than some places but you would also make more money there. You could certainly find an apartment in the $500-$800 range that is decent.

It wont always be "shorts" weather. San Francisco (proper) is a jeans and light jacket town. Just over the bridge in Mill Valley/San Rafael is more "California" like in term of weather.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Richmond, SY

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Visit Seattle, or Portland, if you have not already done so.

7. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

SY? :confused:

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Surrey, in lil ole England. It's where I live, and is of course the original Richmond. :)

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

fort collins colorado. It is sunny over 300 days of the year, tons of intown bike paths as well as being right in the foothills. has a unique downtown. many microbreweries, college town

about 110,000 people and close to denver(hr away)
    which means the broncos,nuggets,rockies, and avs.........and the rockies although they suck are nl and coors field is one of the nicest stadiums I have ever been in

plus it has been voted the #1 city around 100,000 to live.

I have lived in many places, including atlanta, lincoln, lawrence, small towns and what not and fort collins is definitly my favorite.

Also.......NO HUMIDITY which is awesome since I know how bad the southeast is in that aspect lol

heres a site lol
    http://www.ftcollins.com/

heres a site for Colorado State
    http://welcome.colostate.edu/

boulder is also nice but yea thats where CU is lol

10. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

Ah, the stupid silly ole' american I am. :p

11. bananaquit macrumors member

12. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

13. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Seatle but rainy

or either somewhere near the border with Washington and Organ.

I know someone thats retired. One of those states has no state income tax for retirees and the other has no sales tax on food and maybe some other stuff.

So they live in the state with no income tax for retirees and do their shopping in the other.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

No offense, but you clearly haven't been apartment hunting in SF recently. Double those amounts.

16. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I'd go with Berkeley, CA or the surrounding area (anywhere in the East Bay or San Francisco). As much as it's known for its politics, Berkeley and the surrounding area is wonderful culturally, absolutely great for biking (a lot of people do it, so cars are used to bikers), and has Bart, as was previously mentioned for SF.

Really, I'm just a huge fan of Northern California, so I'd suggest looking around there :p

17. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Here's another vote for Santa Barbara, although the town is a *touch* smaller than you specified. LA is of course there if you need it. I think it covers all of your other bases nicely. Good university, friendly people, beach, reasonable public transport (with a nice city-wide bike path), safe to be out a night in (as long as you avoid a couple neighborhoods on the east side). Yeah, it's pretty much paradise. :)

18. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Philadelphia

I would suggest Philadelphia.

Check

Philadelphia is extremely manageable by bike or walking. Center City houses most major office locations and requires not much more than a 10 min bike ride from most central locations; in reality most places are easily reached on foot within 5-10 mins.

I have never lived in a place with more access to other major areas. 1hr 15min train to Washington D.C., and the same to New York. The New Jersey shore is 1 1/2 car ride and the Pocono mountains are 2hrs.

Philadelphia certainly is not a small town, coming in at the nation's 5th largest, but there is perhaps no city its size that provides a sense of neighborhood and community like Philadelphia. I cannot tell you how often I run into people on the street whom I know, it's a great quality.

Can't help ya there.

-i would like to be in or near a larger city, preferably 100k+. city center(s) must be accessible from my location without use of a car. for sports, i would like a major league team. extra point for nl team.
    Sports, obviously you can figure that one out. If you were to live in the suburbs, they are 20mins away on bike and would be reached by riding along side the river that runs through the city.

-the cost of living is a factor, but i will not turn down a city if the cost of living is high if it's desired enough.
    hands down the best cost of living of any major city. Very affordable all the way up to mega million condos and homes.

-i would like to have a prominent university in the city, in case i need to visit the library or decide to go to graduate school.
    University of Pennsylvania, enough said. But, if the Ivy's don't suit you, Villanova, Temple, Drexel; major scientific and medical community.

And last, but certainly not least, Philadelphia was just recently recognized as America's next great city by National Geographic.
    http://www.nationalgeographic.com/traveler/features/philly0510/philly.html

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

David Lynch's thoughts:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/interview/interviewpages/0,,2020030,00.html

;)

20. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Live on a house boat and travel from city to city and get the best of everywhere.

21. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

I feel your pain,I am origionaly from Naples FL.While its still a beautiful city,all the northerners moving there over the past 20 years kind of ruined it for me,and the price of houses just went insane,so I had to skip town.As for places to live,I think my dream city would have to be Savannah Georgia.My girlfriend and I stop there everytime we drive to Fl. to visit my family,and love it more evry time.

22. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I don't even know who the hell david lynch is, but apparently he doesn't live here now. Anyway, you could take advice from some blue tool and david lynch or national geographic, either suits me just fine honestly. :cool:

Correction: I take that back your link helped clear up who he is. "He is a maestro of the weird who admits his latest film is another distributor's nightmare." Great advice blue, really sound advice.

23. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

Be careful in Philly if you're on foot. If you're crossing the street, and it flashes "Don't Walk", you better start running.