where to move to????

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, May 23, 2004.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ok, i'm getting increasingly pissed at living in New York City. it's dirty, smelly, noisy, and so many people are so f***ing rude i just don't want to deal with it any more.

i'm thinking rather than move elsewhere within the States, or go back to England, I thought i'd seriously look into moving to Sydney, Australia. i know a couple of people there, and getting a work visa shouldn't be a problem at all, and the weather's nice too.

anyone have any other recommendations???? i want to move somewhere laidback, although pretty much everywhere would be in comparison the NYC i guess. the business i'm in is mainly pre-press, and post-production for photographers. i can handle everything from being a digital assistant on a shoot, taking the images, or even the chromes if not shot digital, scanning, retouching, colour correcting, page layout and proofing, before sending the final files to the printer for publication.

i desperately want to get a digital camera, a D70 or a 10D, and take loads of pictures, mainly landscapes, beautiful places, but also derelict stuff is a big liking. so i wanna move somewhere that can fulfill those needs too. i have had a lot of great feedback regarding the few pictures i've taken with borrowed cameras, so it's something i want to seriously explore ( http://homepage.mac.com/evoluzione )

what does everyone here think/recommend??????

thanks everyone :)
  2. acidrock macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2004
    The Evergreen State College
    if you really want to stay in the states i recommend the west coast. I moved out to the pacific nw and have lived in Seattle and Olympia, both in WA. I have been very happy here. I am from the east coast and like the west so much better. The funny thing is I had traveled to the west coast a lot before but always thought the EC was better. Now I am like, what the hell was I thinking. There are though, now a lot of people moving to Seattle, and it is becoming quite congestied. There is a lot of road rage also, but I do not drive, so i avoid all of that. But I really like Wash. You may though want to look into SF. best of luck to you

3. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    i vote for the NW if you want to stay in the states... or even a little more north (Vancouver, BC). I'm from Boise (ID). you might like it here... pay is less, but so is the cost of living.

i don't think i could make it in NYC. too many ****ing people.

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    you speak of BC as if its in the US :p
  5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Move to the western united states. If you have enough money, move right on the coast somewhere. You can get a nice house in Carpineteria, CA, which is right on a beautiful beach, next to Santa Barbara. I was there last summer, and the view is amazing everywhere you go. People are great too.

Thats my goal in life when i get older. I want to live at a beach somehwere.
  6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Out of all of the places I have lived (Religh, NC; Sacramento, CA; Livermore, CA; Athens, GA; Falmouth, MA) I would highly sugest moving to Livermore, California(http://www.ci.livermore.ca.us/). It was my favorite place to live, (a close second was Athens, Ga) everybod there is nice and polite; it's a very close knit community. Everybody knows everybody. There's plenty of things to do there, go see the vinyards, the bay, Lake Shasta. I still regret ever moving from there.

If you want to take pictures of landscapes, you could always use the wind mills, those things are HUGE up close; but seeing them from afar makes them seem small.

I'd love to live in NYC.
  7. dopefiend macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas :D

You won't meet any people nicer than Texans...

You won't have a problem finding a job or finding something to take a picture of :D

I remember when I went to New York. Worst people I've ever met. They don't say hi or anything when you walk by. They wouldn't help you if you were bleeding to death, and god forbid your car breaks down and you block them for .000002 seconds!

Go South ;)
  8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Move to Liverpool.... :D

Friendly folks, your choice of new cars on a daily basis..... ;)
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'd say that you might want to go to Philly or San Fran, if you want the same general conveniences that you find in NYC but want a better atmosphere. Australia sounds better to me, in any case, especially considering how friendly people in Oz are reported to be. I'm about ready to go there. :)

I could suggest a lot of places to not go, but they've already been suggested as places to go. ;) :p
  10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod

lol, I guess were two completly different people. For example: I was at the grocery story the other day, helping my mother load the grocries into the back of her van. So this lady, who's not paying attention, nearly hit the driver's side door. My mother was scard, me on ther hand, I was NOT happy. I walk over to her car, cuss her out, give her the finger, and caller her a bunch of bad names ( :eek: :D ). Needless to say, most people I am friends with would NEVER think I would be the type of person to do that. I will be as nice as humanly possible to those who are nice to me. But those who are rude to me, well... let me quote Dave Chappelle, "you f**** up bit**!"

By the way, I second the movement to live in the south, a very nice place to live! :)
  11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    I've lived on the East Coast (Outside of DC and Philly), the midwest (Michigan, spent quite a bit of time in Ohio) and the West Coast (Southern California). You can't beat Southern, CA!

I've also visited Alaska (too dark in the winter for me), the Pacific Northwest (too wet/dreary, but beautiful), The south east (beautiful but humid and the outright racism was an issue) and TX (don't get me started on TX).

I'd recommend Southern CA to anyone. Beautiful weather, rarely rains 2 days in a row, almost no humidity in the summer. If you like snow you just go to the mountains (or live there). Don't live outside of L.A. though. Go the the area between the 215 and the 15 halfway between San Diego and Los Angeles. Extremely nice, friendly people and one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The mountains are truly amazing.

It is also great for people with allergies. You have minimal amounts of pollen and almost no mold or mildew.

It is more expensive but you'll find the income increase takes care of that.
  12. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    West Coast is the Best Coast

No offense to those who live elsewhere in the U.S. but I LOVE it out here. Western Washington is beautiful. British Columbia is great too, the people there are so friendly. Oregon has its good points (although as a Husky fan, I can't in good conscience recommmend Eugene :D ). Not to mention California, which has such diversity you can go from desert to forests, valleys to mountains all within a day!
  13. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    dont move back to england

the weather alone should stop you
  14. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  15. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Arizona's a great place. There are some beautiful places here. Just stay out of Phoenix, it's just a mass of badly planned urban sprawl.
  16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Get out of the city. Pick a small town in any state. Quiet surroundings, less commotion.

I happen to like commotion and the city life, but if NYC drives you crazy, other big cities will too, eventually.
  17. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Evoluzione...I would ask for a little more information about you before I can give a great answer to your dilemma, such as your age, marital status, hobbies, interests, whether you wish to drive a car etc...
    As I have lived in 17 states here in the US, I can give you my favorites, if you like what you read, I'll add more detail...so in no particular order:

Austin, TX
    Pros: Very beautiful for Texas, Good weather (although hot in summer), very artistic, liberal city (especially for Texas), great outdoor and city life, more bars than you can shake a stick at, and most of them have great music. Relatively cheap cost of living, the most amount of beautiful people in one location (per capita...there have been articles), nice people, great food, decent tech city, lots of water, mid-sized city...far and away the funnest city I ever lived in...
    Cons: Smack dab in the middle of Texas...most of the other cities in Texas are awful...well, Houston is awful, Dallas is capitalism gone mad, although it has a few redeeming areas/features. Largest University in the country, have to deal with largest population of drunken idiot college students (not all bad), Hot, Tech economy went in the toilet via recession, but I guess is recovering now, abyssmal public transit so a car is a necessity...

Minneapolis, MN
    Pros: Coolest city I have ever lived in, great music, art, people, plus you can mellow out in St. Paul....BUT
    Cons: WORST CLIMATE POSSIBLE...(to me)...very hot and sticky in the summer, very cold and icy in the winter

Madison, WI
    Pros: Mid-sized, liberal college town. Birthplace of the Onion (newspaper). Built around three lakes (downtown is an isthmus[sp?]) Decent arts, close to Chicago, cheaper cost of living, beautiful.
    Cons: Another large University, smack in the middle of town, more drunken college kids, although these tend to more destructive. Similar weather to Minneapolis (bad), mosquitoes, car also needed (although if you live downtown, not for much)

Seattle, WA
    Pros: Biggest West coast city not in California. Lots to do, great music, bars, arts, waterfront. Beautiful city, among my favorites. If it was cheaper I'd live there now...surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery in the entire US, and many National Parks...
    Cons: Expensive, worst traffic and designed highways I've seen. City fragmented by water (not a big deal, but I have gotten lost more times in Seattle than anywhere else). Low unoccupancy rate (at least when I was there) so must use apartment finders (annoying)...most of the big city crap. Wet and grey in the winter...

Portland, OR
    Pros: little brother to Seattle, still much to do in city life (music, bars, arts). Strip club capital of the US (although you woudn't guess by looking). Well designed city, excellent public transportation system, very green, mid-size city...cheap cost of living, tech city (although also severely hurt w/recession) Friendly people (not as friendly as Texas), no sales tax in Oregon...also surrounded by breathtaking scenery...I live here now, and since I moved here about 15 mo. ago, three friends who have come to visit, have packed up and moved here...that must mean something...
    Cons: wet, grey in winter, a little too slow-paced for some, Oregon was amongst the hardest hit during the recession, so once exemplary social service and education system has been gutted (for now)...

That is a few...There are also some smaller ones worthy of mention...
    I did not include relevance to your work, as I cannot comment on that, but I am sure you can figure that out...

One last thing...Vancouver BC, I feel is the best city to live in, but I have not. I try to visit often (as I have a friend who lives there)...and it is beyond compare...worth a look, if it interests you...
    Good Luck with your choices....cheers
  18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Before even reading this thread, just from seeing the title, I thought Alabama.

Looking at the requirements though it fits. Its a fairly friendly state with some lovely views. Mobile is a major shipping point and has its share of derelicts.

I personally would avoid the left coast. People there are too laid back and whiny. Its like they put valium in the water or something.
  19. macka macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2004
    Sydney, Australia!

Australia is one of the best places in the world to live and many people I know who have come from the US say they never want to go back...

...then again it does go the other way around. It just depends the person. Australia is a little slower than America, that's for sure.
  20. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    guys, thanks so much for all the recommendations!

blackfox ... awesome, thank you. to answer your questions though, i'm 28, in a relationship that could turn out permanent so she'd be moving with me. i love to drive so a car would be good. as mentioned, i want to persue photography, i want to be close to some beautiful scenery, or if not, then it should be not too far away and relatively accessible. i want some space, i would love to be able to not have to drive around looking for a parking space when i get home, and i want to be able to have a barbeque set up on some outdoor space of some sort. we both love food, good food that is, my girlfriend's a pastry chef, so she knows and appreciates great cuisine, as do i. again, this comes into the space thing, it'd be great to have a proper kitchen, NY kitchens are ridiculous! of course decent restaurants is a must.

as for the weather, i'd prefer sunnier climes, and not too humid either. i think it'd be nice to be in the warm in the winter, i'd get used to no snow at christmas time quickly i think. i don't want to go anywhere that rains too much, and is grey, that would remind me too much of england, and i don't want that.

city life doesn't worry me, it's just new york/ers. city life is where i'd be most successful anyway. on the flipside, i could easily live out in the wilderness, totally self sufficient, but not yet i don't think...

thanks again
  21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    washington dc/northern VA/baltimore area. perfect.

two medium sized cities, each very homey- friendly people. not too big, but definitely plenty of adventures to keep you occupied. you can live in northern VA or western MD, plenty of beautiful scenery. or come in to the city and take pictures of politic, artists, concerts,sports... you name it. this area is amazing- arguably the center of the world- washington dc- but picteresque landscapes and farms and mountains and parks all within a 2 hour drive from downtown. plenty of work- lots of oppurtunities.

i can't imagine being anywhere else

Mr. Anderson better get on here and vouch for it- he takes some amazing pictures.
  22. iBook macrumors regular

May 3, 2004
    On a tugboat

"Chicago is my kind of town." - Old Blue Eyes (Frank Sinatra)

Great thing about Chicago is -- it's a big city with "Midwestern" values.

Win-win proposition. Great things to do; great people with whom to do them.

That said, if you're going back to England, I can't say enough good things about Cirencester. Heart of the Cotswolds in Gloucestershire.
  23. josh_joshbond macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2004
    Carmel, CA
    Many good places to choose from posted here.

I have lived in Phoenix, AZ (born & raised), Wellington, NZ, San Francisco, CA, Washington, DC, and now Carmel, CA. And I have been to most cities and states in America, except for Alaska and the Carolina's.

IMHO, Carmel, CA, on the Monterey Peninsula, is paradise on earth. 40-75 degrees all year round...mostly sunny days...beautiful views of bay, hills & mountains, close to the metro areas of San Jose, Silicon Valley and SF Bay area, and a friendly well educated, well traveled, artistically apprecitive people. And it's a five Star resort area (including Pebble Beach). Downside is cost of buying a home...but you can say that for all of northern california. Nuff said.
  24. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2002
    Have you thought about moving outside of NYC? You can still work in the City, but you can move to Westchester, Putnam, Long Island, NJ, CT and other places.

The pace is slower in most places just 20 minutes from Manhattan.