Where to start...new "soon to be" mac owner

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by mbabauer, Feb 23, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    As I am waiting for my first Mac, a MacBook Pro 2.0, to be release from customs in Shanghai, I have started gathering tools and such to start writting some code in OsX.

I am a a pretty decent Java cader, as I have been doing it for about 9yrs, and did C/C++ in collage. My C/C++ skills are VERY rusty, though, as I haven't had much excuse to excercise those neurons since I passed Compilers.

Anyway, I have been looking at getting some books to help me make the trasition. Are there any recommendations someone could give me? Also, having been on a Gentoo Linux workstation for the past 4 years, what tools should I look at getting? Is XCode enough?
  2. macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2005
    ehh, java and xcode.. no. Maybe like NetBeans..
  3. macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Personally I'd go with Eclipse for Java, and consider picking up ObjC/Cocoa just because it's fun and handy :)
  4. macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    Java in XCode isn't that bad. The hardest thing is if you haven't coded on a Mac before, it takes some getting use to the UI and coding for it. Xcode is nice because you can do C++, Java, and others.
  5. macrumors member

Jan 4, 2006
    XCode 2 : GNU C/C++/Objective-C
    Java : Eclipse

But if you have benn on Gentoo for a while, you won't have any problem using terminal. You will surely feel at home. :)
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006

Any good recommendations for books? I have access to Books 24x7.com, but the only book there is Wrox Beginning Mac OS X Programming. It reads ok, but I am through Chapter 8, and the example that you build on from Chapter 5 isn't working.

I would also like to get some sort of desk reference, sort of like the Sun Java books that go real indepth into how the internals work (I am thinking in particular of the Sun Java Swing Vol 1&2).
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    I like iPhoto for photos, iMovie for movies and iTunes for... ooooooooh programming... yeah... ummmmmm... that's nice too...

*slowly backing away*
  8. macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2002
    In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    *Standing just in front of MacsomJRR*... I use this approach for maximum coding efficiency:
    iWeasel, iChopper, iGuinness... Not neccesarily in that order, and usually followed by iStupid@$$...
    *Slinks back to the back of the room with head down, in shame*
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    As others have said, X-Code is a reasonable IDE which supports C, C++, Objective-C and Java. Personally, I prefer Eclipse since when I use X-Code I miss the refactoring tools. But then my X-Code projects are generally just quick hacks.

If you've been on Gentoo for a while then you should definitely install fink which is the debian package management system ported over to OS X. This makes installing any GNU/Linux tools you need easy. There is a similar system known as Gentoo on OS X but I've personally never felt comfortable with the Gentoo on OS X system even though I've run Gentoo on SPARC and intel machines for almost two years now.