Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbabauer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
As I am waiting for my first Mac, a MacBook Pro 2.0, to be release from customs in Shanghai, I have started gathering tools and such to start writting some code in OsX.

I am a a pretty decent Java cader, as I have been doing it for about 9yrs, and did C/C++ in collage. My C/C++ skills are VERY rusty, though, as I haven't had much excuse to excercise those neurons since I passed Compilers.

Anyway, I have been looking at getting some books to help me make the trasition. Are there any recommendations someone could give me? Also, having been on a Gentoo Linux workstation for the past 4 years, what tools should I look at getting? Is XCode enough?

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2005
mbabauer said:
As I am waiting for my first Mac, a MacBook Pro 2.0, to be release from customs in Shanghai, I have started gathering tools and such to start writting some code in OsX.

I am a a pretty decent Java cader, as I have been doing it for about 9yrs, and did C/C++ in collage. My C/C++ skills are VERY rusty, though, as I haven't had much excuse to excercise those neurons since I passed Compilers.

Anyway, I have been looking at getting some books to help me make the trasition. Are there any recommendations someone could give me? Also, having been on a Gentoo Linux workstation for the past 4 years, what tools should I look at getting? Is XCode enough?

ehh, java and xcode.. no. Maybe like NetBeans..

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
mbabauer said:

Personally I'd go with Eclipse for Java, and consider picking up ObjC/Cocoa just because it's fun and handy :)

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
Java in XCode isn't that bad. The hardest thing is if you haven't coded on a Mac before, it takes some getting use to the UI and coding for it. Xcode is nice because you can do C++, Java, and others.

novicew

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2006
Hamburg
mbabauer said:

XCode 2 : GNU C/C++/Objective-C
Java : Eclipse

But if you have benn on Gentoo for a while, you won't have any problem using terminal. You will surely feel at home. :)

mbabauer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Books?

Any good recommendations for books? I have access to Books 24x7.com, but the only book there is Wrox Beginning Mac OS X Programming. It reads ok, but I am through Chapter 8, and the example that you build on from Chapter 5 isn't working.

I would also like to get some sort of desk reference, sort of like the Sun Java books that go real indepth into how the internals work (I am thinking in particular of the Sun Java Swing Vol 1&2).

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
I like iPhoto for photos, iMovie for movies and iTunes for... ooooooooh programming... yeah... ummmmmm... that's nice too...

*slowly backing away*

Cheese

macrumors 6502
*Standing just in front of MacsomJRR*... I use this approach for maximum coding efficiency:
iWeasel, iChopper, iGuinness... Not neccesarily in that order, and usually followed by iStupid@$$...
*Slinks back to the back of the room with head down, in shame*

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
mbabauer said:
Also, having been on a Gentoo Linux workstation for the past 4 years, what tools should I look at getting? Is XCode enough?

As others have said, X-Code is a reasonable IDE which supports C, C++, Objective-C and Java. Personally, I prefer Eclipse since when I use X-Code I miss the refactoring tools. But then my X-Code projects are generally just quick hacks.

If you've been on Gentoo for a while then you should definitely install fink which is the debian package management system ported over to OS X. This makes installing any GNU/Linux tools you need easy. There is a similar system known as Gentoo on OS X but I've personally never felt comfortable with the Gentoo on OS X system even though I've run Gentoo on SPARC and intel machines for almost two years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.