Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
I cannot believe that Apple did not put in an uninstaller in OS X. There is this program I had to download and yes it was easy to drag the icon to the garbage but it did not get rid of the files that lingered in other parts of my computer (e.g. library), and because of it my computer ran really slow until I manually removed them because it was a PowerPC app, always running at startup in the background.

Yes, AppZapper is a great app, but after parting with this much money so far for the computer I really am upset there is another small fee before I can make my computer purchase complete. Also, AppZapper was unable to completely uninstall this app too.

Anyone experience the same frustration? Is there a better way to uninstall items?

Thanks

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
The files that get left around after you've trashed an app are a plist file, maybe a cache file, maybe a data file, but nothing that can actually get launched at startup or slow down your machine.

What application caused this much trouble without actually being installed?

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I've always used App Zapper without a glitch. What program did you uninstall? As epochblue pointed out, it's virtually impossible that an App that's been dragged to the trash would leave *anything* that would cause your computer to slow down.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Did it not come with it's own uninstaller? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Mac apps. come with an uninstaller in the intial download. You can always re-dl the app. and use the packaged uninstaller.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Are you talking about SealedMedia Unsealer? because the VISE installer has its own uninstaller...

Attachments

• dsfdsfsdf.jpg
    dsfdsfsdf.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 87

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Lots of people like AppDelete, and it's free.

I've found that on macs, you don't really need to formally uninstall anything. You just drag the app to the trash! How simple!

You're generalizing. There's some apps that will scatter stuff around the hard drive, and simple trashing the .app itself won't get rid of them. Some of them have a significant amount of preference or library files.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
There is this program I had to download and yes it was easy to drag the icon to the garbage but it did not get rid of the files that lingered in other parts of my computer (e.g. library)…

Do a 10 KB preference file and maybe a small data cache really matter?

and because of it my computer ran really slow until I manually removed them because it was a PowerPC app, always running at startup in the background.

Your computer won't run slow because you have some preference files in your library, and an app you've deleted certainly won't be running at start-up.

Anyone experience the same frustration? Is there a better way to uninstall items?

Any application that makes unusual additions to your system should provide its own uninstaller. The typical Mac application has no need of one, though.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
If you feel frustrated then I am not going to argue that you shouldn't be. However, I am not and neither are most people. I find searching for the app. name and trashing those files are enough. I don't care about a few K here and there (although if I find them I will trash them).

Actually, I resent programs that make me use a special uninstaller, and I think twice before installing them. As have been suggested, uninstall programs do exist. Best wishes.

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Uninstallers aren't magic wands. They leave crap scattered all over the place, too.

mokeyjoe

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
Preston, UK
I just use spotlight to find all the related files and folders. I've never found files to be 'scattered' over the hard drive. There may be a folder in the Library but that's about it.

Uninstalling iWeb for instance was just a matter of drgging it to trash, then typing iWeb in Spotlight and dragging relevent files to trash as well. Uninstallers don't work any better in my opinion.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Whenever this subject comes up, there's always a lot of misinformation spread. You'll always hear: just drag to trash, or rarely use uninstaller, AppZapper etc.

All wrong.

Dragging to trash is a joke. Works, but for the minority of cases. If you do that, in most cases you'll leave behind a lot of files in libraries, which contrary to what you'll hear, can give you serious, serious problems.

AppZapper and other such apps do not work 100% - I know, because I used most of them. Actually you are better off using Spotlight to search for all the nasty trash scattered across libraries. Yet, this is not foolproof, because you are searching by app name - and that is not always the only name those files hide under. Often, they are under the name of the developer or software company. So, Spotlight (or the uninstalling apps like AppZapper) is searching for the name of the app, missing the files under different names.

There are many apps which you simply cannot move to trash without having horrific problems. I once spent several hours hunting down files in the app 1Passwrd which I simply dragged to trash - the result was that I couldn't launch any browser without my keychain freaking out and asking for a bunch of passwords for every single page - nightmare. This is true for many apps which hook deeply into the system - you must not drag them to trash to uninstall. Fortunately, most come with uninstallers. Unfortunately not all do, and worse sometimes even uninstallers that come with some apps also don't uninstall all the files (leaving behind for example Receipts for packages etc.).

What kind of problems can you face if you don't get rid of all the junk files left behind by dragging to trash? Well, for one, should you wish to re-install some of these apps, or install a new version, it won't work because an old pref file is screwing up your install. You must hunt down and eliminate it.

Also, there really are many places that these files can reside - in your user library there are many, many categories where these files can be, such as preferences, contextual menus, caches, input managers and the list goes on and on and on. But wait, that's not all! Often an app will install itself for all users, in which case you have to go to your root library and go through all those categories, often under multiple names and obscure references.

It's a nightmare. Fact is, app uninstallation is broken in OS X. Here's how it ought to be done: any time an app is installed, a record is created of every single installed file location for that app and keeps track of all files created from the app. Then, there should be a global OS X app uninstaller which removes every single file and compares the list to the record. It then presents you with the list - if you click "remove", all are gone. Simple. But not in Tiger. Maybe in Lion or the Maine Coon. Cause right now, it's broken as a pig. Now watch all the fanbois come rushing to defend the broken system ("but I drag to trash and I never have any problems ever, blah, blah, blah"), but they won't be able to dispute the accuracy of my statements factually: the files that can be left behind, the kinds of problems that can be created and how stupid it is and how simple the solution is.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Dragging to trash is a joke. Works, but for the minority of cases. If you do that, in most cases you'll leave behind a lot of files in libraries, which contrary to what you'll hear, can give you serious, serious problems.

I don't disagree with your whole post, but please name three serious, serious problems you'll have if some files are left in your library.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
...Long bit of Doomsday talk...

I install and uninstall apps all the time and have never had ANYTHING I would consider to be even "moderately" serious as a consequence. I use AppZapper on Drag-N-Drop apps, and if the app comes with an uninstaller, I save that and use it when it's time to uninstall.

I agree that some things might hang around even if you use AppZapper, but I think you're playing up the "danger" a fair amount.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
I just don't usually uninstall apps I tryout, you never know when you might need them - right now I'm closing in on 500 in /Applications.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I do mostly agree with the OldCorpse, and I also wish Apple would do something about it. Yes, apps can be gotten rid of easily enough under the present conditions, but the fact is we shouldn't have to monkey around like we are. It should be a seamless system like the one the old corpse suggests.

It should be noted that those of us with Windows experience can attest that Microsoft's system is far from perfect, as well. It also leaves stuff behind, even when you follow all the proper procedures.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
It should be noted that those of us with Windows experience can attest that Microsoft's system is far from perfect, as well. It also leaves stuff behind, even when you follow all the proper procedures.

The difference there is that Windows apps leave behind DLLs and registry cruft which are all loaded at start-up and slow down your system over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.