Where were you when Kennedy was shot?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacDawg, Dec 6, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How many of you were around then??

I was 6 or 7 years old, and I was in my "family room" when the news came over our teeny, tiny, black and white TV. I still remember the upheaval and grief the country felt. And I still remember the film of Oswald being shot by Jack Ruby, but can't swear that I saw it live, but I think it was.

Where were you...

And if you aren't old enough to have been around, then where were you for some other dramatic event, like the Twin Towers, etc. but be specific about the event and the place you were.

PS. This isn't a political thread, just a "where were you" thread

Woof, Woof - Dawg

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I am afraid I am too young to have experienced the Kennedy assassination.

As for 9/11, I was in Austin, TX and happened to be sick with the flu and home from work. Someone burst into the bedroom, said something and turned on my TV. I was so out of it from sickness and copius amounts of medicine, that I stared blankly at the screen trying to figure out what was going on, if it was real, or if I was hallucinating.

A surreal experience under the best of scenarios, for me it was elevated to uber-surreal by virii and drugs.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I missed the Kennedy assassination by a couple of years, but I do remember several other important events:

1. Reagan getting shot. I was in 7th grade social studies at the time, and they brought TVs in for us to watch the coverage.

2. The Challenger explosion. I was a senior in High School in Calculus class when they announced the news.

3. September 11th. I was getting ready to board a train to downtown Chicago for Print '01 when I heard the news on the radio.

4. Princess Di's car accident. It was, I believe, a Saturday morning. My wife and I watched coverage for hours.

What's amazing, and disturbing I suppose, is not only do we tend to memorialize these tragic events as opposed to positive events (the tearing down of the Berlin wall, various rescues or heroic events, etc.), is that at least for me, my references are primarily US-based. I couldn't come up with a good number of events from other countries...

4. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ahhhh, the Challenger explosion... I was a school administrator at the time, and our school was out due to snow. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It was gut wrenching.

I think Di was a Saturday night/Sunday morning, because it was the first thing I heard when the alarm went off in the morning. But I could be wrong.

I was in a training class at the ATL (Atlanta) airport on Sept. 11th. Eerie watching all of the planes get out of the sky NOW. I went up to the Tower on the 12th and it was unbelievable with all of the planes on the ground and no activity in the skies. [I work for a major carrier]

It is true that we tend to reflect more on the tragedies.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Ahh...the challenger shuttle explosion. As fate would have it, I was also sick with the flu that day and remember being quite annoyed after the first few hours of repetetive coverage.

As for Reagan, I lived in the UK at the time and for some reason it doesn't really register.

Howabout the attempted assassination of the Pope? The Iranian Revolution/Hostage Crisis, the Lebanon crisis/hostage situation.

I remember the Lebanon situation well, although it is a stream of memories over time rather than an instant.

6. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I remember the Iranian hostage situation very well, and the beginnings of Nightline with Ted... and I remember sitting up late one night with my brother in law wondering why we weren't kicking somebody's *ss over it. I was young, brash and a right wing, radical, nut case at the time. :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

too young for kennedy...

i was driving with our familys car for the first time together with my mother after getting my driving licensce the week before
    (i was struggeling with the clutch a few times... completly different to those golfs)
    we heard it on the radio that one plane flew into it on our way home...
    when we came back home we turned on tv and get to see how both collapsed... after that i had dinner (some sandwiches with cheese+ham and orange juice for drinking)

edit: for other things:
    lady di car-accident: i saw pictures in newspapers but i didn't watch any coverage at all... i was annoyed of it ...

8. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Not even an idea by either of my parents who were in like high school or middle school.

Mike

9. iGav macrumors G3

Too young for Kennedy, but the major ones in my life.

Challenger, I remember watching 'Newsround' (famous BBC childrens news and current affairs show) at home after school, and remember being really shocked by the pictures they were showing.

Kurt Cobain, '94, I was in the car with my dad and were going to pick up my brother from work so it would've been about 8pm, that's when the radio reported that a body had been found at Kurt Cobains house, the first thing I thought was he'd gone and knocked someone off, it was only later that we found out he'd shot himself. We were all big Nirvana fans at the time, so it was kinda weird at school the next day.

Ayrton Senna, I was watching the Imola race as usual, a very strange race that weekend especially after losing Ratzenberger the day before and Barrichello's freak crash on the Friday. As soon as it started there was a massive smash at the beginning with bits flying off into the crowd, and then as the race was restarted Senna lost control and smacked into the wall at Tamburello. I remember at the time thinking it wasn't all that bad, he hadn't hit anywhere near as hard as Berger in '89 or Piquet in '87 (all at the same corner) it was only when the car came to stop and he wasn't moving with his head slumped that at the very least it was very serious.

Di, I woke up on the Sunday morning... would've been about 9am and put the telly on, only to find a presenter outside Kensington Palace, saying how tragic it was etc etc, it seemed to take them ages to report that it was actually Diana who died. Then I remember running down stars telling my mum what had happened and putting the tv on in the lounge.

September 11th, I was working at home that day and my mum called about five past 2 telling me that a plane had crashed into the WTC, I didn't believe her but switched on the telly, and sure enough. That was very a very surreal day because stuff started being reported in London, places were being evacuated etc etc kind of like a domino effect it, anything was possible that day.

10. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Unfortunately, those of us in the US tend to think only in terms of the US or things that directly affect us. The US was captivated by Di, but hearing of other things that are outside our world is interesting. Thanks for the insight iGav.

I thought that most would be too young for Kennedy...
    Makes me feel very old now.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im too young for kennedy

but sept. 11 has stuck permanetly in my mind, it was a very surreal experience for me, i was in a class my freshman year, and i was walking after class next to a kid who had a radio, he turned to me and said that the pentagon had been bombed, and something else was going on, but they weren't sure what. i was like wft are you listening to, and i got back to my room a few minutes later, turned the tv on and woke up my roommate, he wasnt happy about me turning the tv on so early, but oh well, but once he saw what has going on....yeah, i ended being the only one on my floor to know what was going on at this point, so i went around and let everyone know because most people were sleeping, i felt numb the whole day

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

again, too young for kennedy... but since we seem to be listing other momentous events...

sept11: my early class let out around 9:30, walked outside to the site of humvees in the streets, armed forces personel directing traffric and patroling, and the smoke from the pentagon in the sky. ran to red cross building to donate blood, everyone has already evacuated the city. very scary times.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Much too old for me.

These days it's, where were you when Clinton got a BJ?

14. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hopefully not on your knees...

Woof, Woof - Dawg

15. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

2004 Presidential Elections - I was up watching the results all night

9/11 - Asleep in bed.....my wife called me and woke me up to tell me about it.

2000 Presidential Elections - I was up watching the results all night

Princess Di - on the way home from a college party (heard it on the car radio)

Space Shuttle Challenger - in school (elementary)

Kennedy Assassination - I was a small branch of a tree in a part of a forest that no longer exists d/t logging (in Indiana).....my former life of course:)

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

jfk -

i was in dallas, watching a parade. climbed to the top of a small, grassy hill for a better look.

j/k. i was born during LBJ's term. in dallas. on top of a hill.

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

That's witty.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I was just shy of my eighth birthday when JFK was assassinated. My overriding memory wasn't from my household or anything I saw on TV. A friend and neighbor at the time was from an Italian family, very devote Catholics. They had the portrait of JFK on the wall next to the picture of Jesus. I remember seeing his mother watching the news on television that day and weeping like I'd never seen an adult cry in my young life. This oddly remains a very vivid and powerful memory to this day.

19. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I was just a twinkle in my mom's eye when kennedy was shot.

sept 11th scared the mess out of me. I was in class (2nd of the day) and everyone turned on the news in the class (my old c++ class) and i remember being really mad.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm another twinkle. Except I think I was in my dad's eye, because I ended up inheriting his mom's pure blue eyes.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I was ten when it was announced at Assembly at my school. None of my contemporaries had any idea what it meant.

23. Zaid macrumors 6502

Kennedy: The thought of my conception had not yet even considered the merest possibility of crossing my fathers mind :)

Sept-11th: I was studying for a final exam (uni). My mate came running up the stairs shouting that we should just give up studying as the world had come to an end. We were sitting the exam the next day, but we all just watched the TV in shock for the rest of the day. Some of my mates had relatives in the buildings; it was a bad day.

Princess Di: Was still at high school. (School holidays i think.) Somebody told me what had happened. Didn't believe them, though when it was confirmed, I don't remember it affecting me at all.

Mandela was released: I was there (aged 10) with my dad at the Grand Parade in Cape Town

24. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

25. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I wasn't born when Kennedy was assinated.

As a side note, I thought it remarkable that Mother Teresas death was far overshadowed my Princess Dianas. Mother Teresa barely got a footnote in the newspaper.