Where will the bomb drop?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

All this talk of nuking other countries - where do people think the next nuke will be dropped/set off (if ever).

I'd like to say that it won't ever happen, but there is just too much tension right now and I think that the chances are there that it might happen. :(

North Korea, for me, seems like the biggest wild card, with them using it to take over South Korea. Although the India/Pakistan crisis can always heat up again. I don't think a terrorist will use it first though. Dirty bomb, maybe, but not a true nuke.

D

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Where will the bomb drop?

the property damage of a dirty bomb can be the same as a real full on nuke, but the actual nuke will kill more people

a well placed dirty bomb can render manhattan uninhabitable forcing us to tear down the affected areas, cleaning up, then rebuilding

i have a fear that the terrorists will let off a dirty bomb in the distant future...maybe decades from now

patience and planning is one thing these terrorists use since they don't have an unlimited military complex like the usa

3. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Re: Where will the bomb drop?

Well, i'm sure nukes will still be set off in places of the world for testing purposes at least. India and Pakistan have been testing nukes for a while now. Now, the question of where the next nuke will be dropped (for defense/war purposes), I think never. Haven't you ever seen War Games? :D

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Where will the bomb drop?

Well that's the problem - its not a mutually assured destruction right now with the other small players in the nuke arms game. Its mostly one sided, like you get one or two shots at the US (and Russia I imagine) and they remove you. The only problem is it spilling over into other countries and they get in the game.

A recent article (last year) which I can't find tries to go through modern War Games and determine the outcome of a tactical nuke going off in an act of war. Any at this time basically result in planet wide destruction. But its not a sure thing that it won't happen.

D

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

If nukes were used, they would be tactical. By any major country that is. The small players, should they ever get their hands on a big boy, would drop it without a second thought. Nuclear retaliation would be viewed by the world as overkill, especially if we knew that that was their only one.

Realistically, I would say the best spots are Middle east (Israel and Iraq), India/Pakistan, N & S Korea, and China/Taiwan.

Actually, I think middle east is most likely. Should Sadam throw a chemical or biological attack against Israel, well, if you know anyone in Bagdad, call them and tell them goodbye, because it will be glowing for a while.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my fundamentalist jehovah witness employee is so into the armageddon thing and his belief, maybe not his church's, is that we just let it happen because it is god's will

the jehovah witnesses like to use armageddon as a scare tactic to make people hastily choose and when they choose, the jehovah witness church will be there to take first dibs

i am an evangelical myself so i don't knock spreading the good news, but his church uses armageddon to scare people into his church and thus generate income for the church

...not unlike jim bakker and jimmy swaggart in the 80s using religion to get filty rich...my god, sell swimming pools or open a restaurant instead to make your fortune ;)

armageddon, religious beliefs aside, should be avoided at all costs and billy graham once made a sermon in where the inevitable destruction of mankind can be set back, way back and we don't have to just sit on our hands and wait for the world to go mad and self destruct

peace in the middle east should always be a goal even though its not likely to reach a 100 percent peace like north america or europe...but some peace is better than no peace

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you're being a little premature in saying we have '100%' peace. But I know what you mean. Besides, its only 3 countries, all without thousands of years of written history, all with large masses of people of very diverse backgrounds.

D

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

9. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

just hope its something we only see in bad video games...

D

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

w3rd!

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Paris will be where the next bomb will drop. I suspect that the frogs will piss off the krauts again, probably over something silly like the frog pronunciation of euro versus the kraut pronunciation of euro, and that will lead to a shooting war, and next thing you know, the city of lights will really glow.

:D :p

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

You know I don't know what is more sad, that millions of people could fry and we would somehow find humor in that, or that we find humor in the thought that France could fry.

:)

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I definately think that it's sadder that it's possible to find humour in Millions of people frying than finding humor in sauteed frogs legs.

Just remember:

The only edible part of a frog is its hind legs. The delicate meat is tender and lightly sweet and can be most closely compared to the white meat of a very young chicken. Fresh frog's legs can be found from spring through summer in the fish section of many gourmet markets. They're usually sold in connected pairs ranging from 2 to 8 ounces. Look for those that are plump and slightly pink. Store, loosely wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Frozen frog's legs can usually be purchased year-round, though the flavor doesn't compare to fresh. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before cooking. Because their flavor is so subtle, frog's legs should be cooked simply and briefly. A quick dusting of seasoned flour before sautéing in butter or olive oil will gild the lily perfectly. Overcooking frog's legs will cause them to toughen.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

cuisses de grenouille sauté dans un potage nucléaire du plutonium 238

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Bien, rien ne goûte tout à fait comme l'âne d'une grenouille !

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Excepté peut-être le baiser de sa petite amie.

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Le défaut de la reproduction sonore, sexe lesbien de grenouille,
    équipent là n'est rien plus sexy qu'une grenouille de dame et une
    grenouille de dame.

18. Flickta macrumors 6502

What's the thread about? Nuclear Weapons, Chemical Weapons, Biological Weapons, Ecology Issues... Well, we'll see that this is important only when it will be too late. Unpredictable things. And no one is really anxious about them. Too bad.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, I give... my high school french plus bablefish just can't keep up with your superior skillz.

20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

C'est la magie de Sherlock. A obtenu d'aimer Apple. Désirent
    ardemment la pomme de phase, longs crapauds bisexual de phase !

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, yes, sherlock is wonderful, but my tiBook (sitting to my left) isn't hooked into my network, so I'm stuck with bablefish on my Dell PC.

This is how bad it translates: "It is the magic of Sherlock. With obtained to like APPLE. Ardently wish apple of phase, long clamping plates bisexual of phase!"

22. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Damn, that sucks. Set your TI to connect via ethernet, and use DHCP. If that doesn't work, open the network connection of your pc, take the TCP/IP settings and copy them to your mac, and then boom. Your on the network.
    ;)

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't think our network will let that work, or, even if it did, without permission, I'd get in trouble.

24. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Break the law mcrain, you know you want to. :)

All you would do is unplug the PC and plug in the Mac to the network. Same TCP/IP settings, so it would not be seen as different, unless, you use a roaming profile on the 2000 server, then it would.

Take the chance!
    :cool: :eek: :D

25. Performfreak macrumors member

so anyways, didn't this thread start about the impending possibility of nuclear weapons being utilized? I think that the problem with the situation we're currently in is that some of these countries have hastily started nuclear weapons programs and have begun nuclear weapons testing, without realizing the full impact that the use of these weapons would incur.

Nuclear weapons have only one true use: total destruction. True, there are varying degrees of radiation fallout left after a nuclear explosion, but I really doubt that one of these smaller countires is concerned with building a "clean" nuclear weapon that will destroy buildings and take lives but not leave lasting nuclear fallout.

If one of these countries thinks that they can use a nuclear weapon to say, take over another country like dukestreet mentioned, they might as well forget it because that land will be worthless and deadly to live on due to the fallout from the weapon.

As much as I find nuclear weapons interesting, I see no use for them at any time within the boundries of Earth.