Where Windows Beats Macs

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotdotdot, May 27, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    OK so this thread may not go too well with you guys, but I thought it would be interesting for Mac/Windows users to say where Windows actually beats Mac...

Do NOT Post Something Where Mac Beats Windows! ONLY Where Windows Beats Mac!

You know there are some things, so lets get them out in the open. I'll begin.

On a Mac, You can't do a FULL full-screen unless its like a DVD or something, i.e., you can't open Safari and browse full screen. On Windows, you can.
  2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    -More domestic compatibility
    -Many more apps
    -Can go on pretty much any hardware
  3. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i guess being able to disable all the eye-candy stuff, like daveway said more hardware options, uhh...pinball :D
  4. poundsmack macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    many more developer tools for various languages
  5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    well i dont want to start a fight, but it depends on the app. Camino does open to full screen, as do some other obscure ones, its just a rarity

but on windows you can get a virus much easier ;)

seriously though i wish you could cut and paste files in the finder sometimes oh well
  7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2002
    Kellogg IA
    Not to be a prickly pickle, but iCab and Opera both support kiosk mode. And the Saft plugin lets Safari work in kiosk mode. I'll grant you that IE 6 has it built in, so I'd say that argument is a draw, I'm not convinced that it's something that Windows does in a superior manner.
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    crashes better :D (sorry I could not contain it)
  9. rasp macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2005
    Easthampton, MA
    I'll bite, the biggest thing I see for *ordinary* users is you can't walk into staples and buy cheap shareware. Like language learning software, dictionaries and such, people, for whatever reason, feel comforted by this.

with regard to running on any hardware as a plus for windows, it runs on any X86 hardware. If you want something that runs on *any* hardware, see netbsd. If you were meaning most people have machines at home that already run windows, that I'd agree with.

I haven't missed any applications at home running a mac. Where I could see it being a problem is where there is a specific application that only runs in windows.
  10. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
  11. rasp macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2005
    Easthampton, MA

The other thing about full screen mode is most folks I encounter don't even know it's there. (we don't count, we are not normal users)

I'd further that it's a non issue if you are thinking of things keeping people away.
  12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...as far as I am concerned the only advantage to PC's is for those that want the latest games, or for those that are stuck with ignorant network admins that won't allow the virus-spyware-free Macs on their precious networks because they can't "control" them (as a windoze net admin that gets dictated this stuff from up the food chain I know first hand...) ...oh yeah!
  13. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2002
    Kellogg IA
    Not to mention that www.kiosksw.com makes kiosk software for Mac OS X based on the Safari Engine that makes Mac OS X an aruguably better solution for a kiosk that requires a full screen web browser, once again these are addons so I will still grant Windows at draw.
  14. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Another: windows NOT ALWAYS BUT MOST OF THE TIME in command prompt doesnt use like

x&21* /7362 \s34 
    (in like terminal)
    but actually writes it out like
    control userpasswords2
  15. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    I didn't know that, how do you do it on Camino? That's so cool!
  16. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    You can resize windows from more than the bottom right corner... major plus.
  17. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Yea like viruses ;)

Yea I know that was an obvious answer....

About going OS X not going to full screen; isn't that the point? I mean it's made to be easy to switch between apps by simply clicking on a window instead of being entrapped by an app....I guess it could have the option to go full screen.
  18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    just press the green button in the top left and if goes to full screen. does for me at least

and jsw, thats is an excellent point, one that i wish Apple would implement already
  19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Windows can do no wrong. It doesn't matter if it crashes, never gets a new version, or forces you to reinstall. People defend it and don't seem to stay mad at it. Microsoft can basically sit back and do nothing and they will have the marketshare forever.
  20. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I actually dislike this feature. I have accidentally triggered it quite often and most of the time, since the window takes up most of the screen, it is nearly useless in terms of screen-space-usability.

So that one depends. And iFeel the need to post this Linkety...
  21. Knoxxus macrumors newbie

May 27, 2005
    The only advantage of a PC is to run specialty software not available on the mac. That is it. And notice that this has more to do with third party developers than anything MS of Apple does directly.

Also, of course, virus software on a PC actually does something. On a mac is it is useless. Sheesh. :rolleyes:
  22. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Given the new 20 inch display I have, I will never need to full screen an app.

DotX3, you don't even own a mac yet, so how can you even compare the two?
  23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Apps and compatability are third party things, not Windows things. Whether third parties support it have everything to do with market share and not as much to do with whether the system is good or not.

I've got one:
  24. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    For now (I hope) where iWorks and Appleworks fail, Microsoft works.

Then there are the multitude of 3rd party developers who cater only to the monopoly, too many to mention unfortunately.

Some deficiencies are only going to be solved through having market share. A lot of nice marketing is only profitable on what is still the main OS.

As for mainstream needs, Apple needs to catch up where iWorks fails. IMO.