Where would you go to rent a really hard-to-find movie?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know those distant memories that come to you from twenty years out of the past? Well, I had one today.

I was thinking about a movie called "Seizure", which I barely recall seeing as a teen. I was moved to look it up on IMDb, and it actually sounds interesting. I recall that it starred Jonathan Frid of Dark Shadows, but I didn't know that it was the first movie directed by Oliver Stone!

The plot sounds somewhat interesting (it's a horror film), and I sort of do remember a little of it, but I doubt I'm curious enough to buy the movie. Does anyone know any places that specialize in renting hard-to-find films? (I already did a web search of Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.)

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have you tried joining any of the online renting/subscription DVDs-by-mail outlets? They're just starting to take off in the UK and I guess they're doing OK in the US.

I read an article in the paper recently about how many people were joining these schemes for the same reason as you – that basically they held a far greater range of DVDs than the average BlockBuster and that the average rental period of 3 days was far better value...

Sort of like joining the library.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It wouldn't work for this specific movie, though, because "Seizure" never made it to DVD.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd go to my local video store, Insomniac. Probably not much help to you though.

6. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

ditto on the local store. I go to this place called Flixx and get my moofies from there for uber cheap and they have really obscure stuff.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If its really hard to find sometimes they can order it for you.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, how many video stores have an entire section dedicated to 'Blacksploitation' films? :D

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Usually those are in a dark alley or some kids basement. :p

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also think that amazom.com has a very exhaustive collection of DVD/VHS available. Although I have rented a movie in years. Prefer to just purchase, then I can view whenever.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it was a shot in the dark. I know I probably won't be able to rent something that obscure. Maybe if I found it for a few dollars....

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Very small local shops may have it.

Otherwise, eBay. They sell everything, even families. ;)

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Did you check out the link I sent you? It was only about 8 or 9 bucks there.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have found rare videos at Critics' Choice. I didn't see Seizure there with a quick check, but they've had some movies I found nowhere else.