Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i started off with it on the bottom since thats where apple had it. mmoved it to the top for awhile. and have had it on the right ever since. seems to work best for me on the right, but i was wondering what other people's experiences were.

[damn i was going to make a poll, forgot went to delete and remake it and i cant delete my post]

so here is what i was thinking for the poll:

a) on the bottom because thats where apple put it and i let apple do all my thinking

b) on the top because im crazy like that

c) on the left because i like to pretend im on a pc

d) on the right because i like to pretend im using the classic os

e) i keep it hidden and never use it

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
My dock is in the bottom left hand corner, I don't use it all that much.

Ensign

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 271

Pepzhez

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
I'm forced to hide the dock because apps keep opening behind it. I know this has to do with the way the apps are written, and not necessarily an OS X problem. But you would think that Apple would have thought to make Final Cut Pro 3 dock-aware ... (They didn't.)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
sure blackspot....brag about the fact u have 2 monitors....he he he...

I keep my dock hidden to the left....sometimes I get confused when I go to work and I'm back on 9....I'll immediately drag left to change applications instead of the finder menu... ;)

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I put it in hiding and on the bottom of my screen. I use it quite a bit, but have found anywhere other then the bottom gets into my desktop icons and toolbars. I also find that it is annoying if it is not hidden because it hangs over the window you are working in. Anyhow when you pull the mouse down it pops right up...I kinda like it as I have gotten used to it.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I'll admit... I've tinkered with every position. Corners. Sides. Top.

Mine's staying at the bottom. It just seems to feel much better there. For me, at least, Apple picked the most intuitive spot.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Right side. Smallish in size. I have both hard drive icons there so i can navigate to anything on the comp

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
upper left side. I use ASM to automatically hide it for PS and illustrator and any other classic apps I have to run in it

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I also have 2 monitors...

Left with nothing
Right with Menu bar and Dock on Right side

You're more likely to miss vertical space than horizontal space... so if you can get used to it... a side docked-dock seems the best way to go

arn

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Right-side, pinned to the bottom. 50-60% of screen height

Left-side: Felt wrong

Bottom (visible): Classic apps keep popping behind it. Lost vertical real-estate.

Bottom (hidden): Saves room, but why keep Mail open if you can't just look at it to see if you have new messages?

Right-side: Pinned to bottom is best so that a couple of files and foders can co-exist right above it. The rest get bumped over.

Who knows, I'll probably find something else I like better, but this is the most comfortable way I've found so far.

BTW, What app/hack lets you move it to the top?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by sjs
hidden, on the left.
I also have two monitors, but one's at the office.
LOL! Good one sjs :D

I keep mine on the right, pinned to the bottom, about 60% high (1600x1200). It's transparent with a white border, and has white 'this app is active' triangles.

I use the Dock a lot... I'm interested in why (and how) others live without using it much.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Beej
I keep mine on the right, pinned to the bottom, about 60% high (1600x1200). It's transparent with a white border, and has white 'this app is active' triangles.

howd you make the triangles white?

do you guys remember the blue triangle for the frontmost app? anyway of doing this in the newer versions of x (10.1.3 to be specific)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by irmongoose
actually im so nice, ill give you a link...
Wow, irmongoose, you're a real gentleman! He he.

Yeah, TransparentDock 1.5.7 is what I used. It's got a shocking UI, but it works, so it'll do for the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.