Where'd the MPC7457 rumors go?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by magi.sys, May 23, 2003.

1. magi.sys macrumors member

May 12, 2003
    I've been holding off on upgrading my Power Mac G4 to a faster processor since I heard that the MPC7457 would be coming out from Motorola (the newest cool running G4 chips that probably scale over 1.5GHz with 512k L2). I heard the rumors back in January and now almost half a year after most of the focus has been on the PPC970 (for obvious reasons :D ). Has anyone heard about these chips? Like are Powerlogix, Gigadesigns, and Sonnet going to be using these chips for their new upgrade cards?

On a different topic, do you guys think that there will be PPC970 upgrade cards for current G4s?
  2. mim macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    flesh, melbourne.... heart, london
    Re: Where'd the MPC7457 rumors go?

I have a memory that the 7457's are due for release at the end of the year. That means we'll see the 970 before then.

I'm sure someone will release a 970 upgrade board, but I'm not sure it will help that much. There'll be plenty of other improvements other than the processor.
  3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    It went with everything Motorla has promised.....down the drain.

It is coming, just towards the end of the year. But the 970 will be out by then (it better be.....) so the 7457 will probably only be used in consumer machines like the eMac and possibly iMac, maybe the iBook.
  4. melchior macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    honestly i doubt you will be able to use 970 chips on an upgrade board. the 970 is a large architecural change and building an upgrade card that works with current g4 motherboards would either be extremely difficult or impossible. which i am not sure. i tend to lean towards impossible though :eek:

so yeah, let's all hope for a final revision of MPC7457 before the PPC970 is released. (demoed at WWDC and on sale 2 months later)
  5. Steradian macrumors 6502

Dec 3, 2002
    San Jose
    I am going to be that the PPC 970 will not be released til next year, and that we will see the MPC7457 at MWNY and nothing but Panther at WWDC...just my guess though...
  6. dhdave macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2001
    Ok, since I haven't been able to keep from running my big mouth about no 970 at WWDC, here's my prediction: 970's by the end of the year. 7457's in consumer products. Maybe even in the lower end pro units. Let's see what happens.