Where's a mac when you need one (PC Crash)

Discussion in 'Community' started by slooksterPSV, Jan 9, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but yesterday I had to redo my whole hard drive on my PC (though I was already comtemplating this, considering the program slow downs). Well, I deleted a few services out of my registery (and forgot to back it up and had turned off system restore for months now) and those were dependant on me getting access to the internet, more or less to my Ethernet cards - IPNat and IPSec. I tried everything to get it in working condition, but found I had to reinstall the OS. Well, I reinstalled it, Did all the updates except for SP2. Installed Avast! Anti-virus, MSN Messenger, AIM (which I call iChat even for pc), ZoneAlarm, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-aware SE Personal, ATI Graphics Drivers, and a few side programs.

That was my trip and all this time I'm thinking - if I would have had my mac (see siggy, It'll be here wed.), none of this would have ever happened. I've never had to redo a mac (even my PB I never did), while this is my 12th time in 2 years for this pc. - Like 70th time total for all PC's I have had.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My PC have actually given my very few problems. I did have to reinstall it 7-8 months back. I always have a second HD with backup of system/apps. This hd is in the machine, but unpowered, when I need it i just have to open the machine and plug in the power cable.

-tb

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

OOOO how I DON'T miss the days of my PC. Sadly, I get calls every weekend to reformat someone's PC and I always tell them about my mac.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Same here. What is nice that with a Mac and FW, get an external HDD and Carbon Copy and you are nver at a loss for your apps or data.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or, use FireWire target disk mode to back up/resurrect another Mac. I just used my iMac that way to transfer the most important stuff from my PowerBook.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So true, but I had to send in my PB for an SDD replacement. It was great to do a back-up and have my "spare" eMac boot up from the back-up drive.