Where's all the Powerbooks gone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ianbolton, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Ianbolton macrumors newbie

I've been waiting three weeks now for my 15" combo-drive Powerbook. I made a claim on my house insurance after my old Ti-Powerbook fell out of my bag (again) and this time cracked the screen after landing awkwardly. My insurance company have said they will replace it with a new one, but no where in the UK have any in-stock. Not sure if this is the same for the rest of the world but is this a regular thing to happen, or could this mean they are updating Powerbook models? Most places have 12" and 17" models in though.
    If anyone has any info as to how or why there is such a shortage then it'd be great to hear as I'm getting a litle annoyed of having to wait so damn long.

2. Gordy macrumors 6502a

3. Ianbolton thread starter macrumors newbie

According to my insurance company when they enquired about buying from The Apple Store they also say 3-5 days wait, which is what everyone else is saying.
    Bizarre!!

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I bought them all and made a PowerBook fort out of the boxes.

:p

5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

heartless bitch!!!
    ;)

6. dcv macrumors G3

If you're only using the boxes then would you care to share the powerbooks with the rest of us? :D

7. Ianbolton thread starter macrumors newbie

This is ridiculous. All I wanted was one and you're having the lot. Well you can all forget it. I'm moving to Brazil and living on boat fishing for camel fish.

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

tuartboy: what can I say? I suddently stumbled across $3.9 billion. I needed a summer project, hehe.

dietcokevanilla: I have a whole wall of PowerBooks, with just the RSS screensaver going. It lights my whole house.

Ianbolton: Camel fish? whaaa?

:D :D :D

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    But if the insurance company order it, at least you'll have it in 3-5 days plus shipping. Rather than waiting 3-5 days for it to maybe come into stock elsewhere? Incidentally, I know John Lewis's website doesn't have any but you could call your nearest store and they can check their mainframe to see if any of their other branches have any and coould ship it direct to you (and you'd get an extra year's guarantee on it)

10. Ianbolton thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems like everyone's in the same boat. My insurance campany ideally have to use their own stockists as they get substantial discount rates.
    I think I'm just going to have to wait, but I was just getting a little excited by thinking Apple may have a new model up there sleave.

11. wako macrumors 65816

Insurance company that covers accidents? What kind of insurance is this? More importantly where can I get it?!

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just call your current home insurers. Accidental damage can be built in to almost any policy - at least in the UK - although it may incur a premium. I pay an extra £20 a year to have my Powerbook covered against loss/accidental damage both in the home and away from home. And it's a 'new for old' policy too.