Where's George? Track your dollar bills across the country. [Nerd alert]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Flowbee, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I stumbled across a site called Where's George http://www.wheresgeorge.com and I have to admit, I'm intrigued.

You enter the serial numbers of your paper currency into their database, which searches for other entries of the same bill. This lets you track where your bills came from, and where they've gone. Seems simple enough, but it looks like it can become quite a geek addiction (right up there with MacRumors and WoW). Pretty interesting forums on the site as well.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking of diving in.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I used to have a username there, but I can't remember the email I used. It must've been atleast 4 years ago! I wish I could see where my dollars have been... Nonetheless, thanks for reminding me about this place.

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I entered 6 bills there a year and a half ago and I totally forgot about until I saw this thread. Not one of the bills I entered has gotten a hit, but I'm sure it can happen any time (some bills there have gone yeats without a hit). I think the trick is to enter in a lot of bills (maybe around 20) to increase your chance of getting a hit.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Whoa I finally remembered my old AOL email address. Here's my summary, though it's not impressive

Your Bills' Summary Statistics
    You have entered 12 Bills worth $49
    Bills with hits: 3 Total hits: 3
    Hit rate: 25.00% Slugging Percentage: 25.00% (total hits/total bills)
    George Score: 296.27
    Your rank (based on George Score) is #12,242
    (out of 15,501 current users with a George Score. [21.0 Percentile])

Out of those three hits, one was in Texas, another in Michigan, and another in OKlahoma.

5. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Some members there have entered thousands of bills. The tricks seem to be: 1) spend your bills at places where there is high cash turnover (convenience stores, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.; 2) Enter lots of bills on the site; 3) Mark or stamp your bills with the wheresgeorge.com address.

Too bad my wallet's empty today. :(

6. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That seems like it would be to difficult to keep up with. If it may take years to track the bill then I would just eventually forget to keep looking. Who wants to sign onto a website and constantly get no real feedback.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, I'm a Georger...I go through periods of heavy use and then I get lazy. I do stamp the back of my bills to tell people to go to the site though. I'm using less cash these days since the good cash back credit cards have been around, but I try to keep up with it.

Attached Files:

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe... (1,576,948 threads ago? That can't be right..) :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=90286

You get an email when you get a hit.

End Communication.

9. Flowbee thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There's a similar thing in Canada, when i was there I saw probably 50 bills with a stamp on them that said "wherehaveibeen.com" or something similar. Thought it was a great idea.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Haha, the funny thing is that I didn't know what you guys were talking about until around the 5th or 6th reply.

From the description in the 1st thread, I thought this website was about tracking your bills to see if they were counterfeit......to see if someone else out there has a bill with the same serial number as yours. :p

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, we both know that vBulletin's search function is it's biggest downfall..

Here are my WG stats, I've slacked off A LOT:

Attached Files: