Where's Linux??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flying Llama, May 24, 2005.

1. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

I know I might sound dumb and non tech-savvy to the 'nix pros here, but, well, I've been searching for quite a while and came up with nothing...

Is there any free Linux image I can download (for free), burn, boot from (on my 17'' 1.8GHZ iMacG5 with 512mb RAM) and go through a somewhat simple installation process? It seems like such a hard process for a somewhat easy task...

Which one is best, and if you know a link or a torrent please link!!

I would install this on a seperate partition, so i'm very open on choices.

Thanks in advance!

llama :)

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Most if not all of the major players have PPC distros available, just go to the any of their websites and have a look or check out distrowatch.com.

Asking which Linux is best is going to get you multiple answers, it's free try them all and see what you like. I'm partial to Debian, Gentoo, and Slackware the first 2 have PPC distros iirc.

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I've never really understood the reason why a person would want to run Linux on hardware that's capable of running OS X. I suppose Linux can be a great way to suck the last little bit of usefulness out of aging hardware, but I'm at a loss to come up with anything that Linux could do that I couldn't just as easily do in OS X.

And the list of things that OS X can do which Linux simply can't is immense.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I agree with Apple shipping X11 and OS X projects like DarwinPorts or Fink I really can't think of a reason to use Linux on a desktop box, which probably explains why after 10 years I got rid of Linux at my house.